Two more players for Illini football named to watch lists

Karolina Marczewski

Illinois’ Ke’Shawn Vaughn (5) attempts to run through Nebraska’s defense during the game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct 3, 2015. The Illini won 14-13.

By Masaki Sugimoto

Senior quarterback Wes Lunt and sophomore Ke’Shawn Vaughn were chosen for nomination Thursday.

Lunt was named among 30 for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award watch list, which is presented annually to the nation’s best – making it one of the most prestigious recognitions in college football. The selection was made by a subset of the Davey O’Brien National Selection Committee.

This committee votes weekly during the season with the first early narrowing of the field occurring in early November. Candidates are evaluated on not only athletic ability but also academics, reputation as a team player, character, leadership and sportsmanship.

Lunt started all 12 games for Illinois last season, compiling 2,761 yards passing on 270-481 attempts. He finished the season with 14 touchdowns and a mere six interceptions, leading the Big Ten in completions per game (22.5).

Lunt’s teammate in the backfield, Vaughn, was picked for Doak Walker Award Recognition. The award recognizes the nation’s premier running back while also being the only award in major college football that requires all candidates be in good academic standing and on a path to graduation.

Vaughn played in 11 games during his freshman season with the Illini. Behind established senior Josh Ferguson, Vaughn managed to lead the team in carries (157), rushing yards (723) and touchdowns (6). In a lead role, Vaughn’s production figures to increase dramatically and barring injury will likely receive further award nominations throughout the remainder of his collegiate career.