UGL student employees keep the lights on at night

Ryan Fang

The outside of the Undergraduate Library on April 3rd.

By Bianca Reyes, Staff writer

When University students enter the Undergraduate Library, they walk down the stairs to their desired floor, sit down at a table and begin to work. What most students don’t realize is that the library is open so late because of student workers.

The UGL is a popular late-night study spot for students. It is open 24 hours Monday through Thursday, making it the perfect place to pull an all-nighter.

But not every student at the library is cramming for an exam or writing a last minute paper. Rather than putting in their hours for school work, some students are putting in the hours that allow the library to stay open.

Emma Kosnik, sophomore in LAS, has been an employee at the UGL for over a year now. Although many may believe the job is hectic, Kosnik said working at the UGL is rather laid-back.

“I worked at a dining hall before this and I was getting really tired of that. But at the library you just sit around and the UGL is the social library so I figured I would be able to talk to my coworkers,” Kosnik said.

At the UGL, each shift is at least one hour long. Student employees can pick however many one-hour shifts they would like to work. Everyone has the opportunity to pick the shifts that best work with their schedule.

Adrian Geske, freshman in DGS and UGL employee, said his job does not really take up as much time as some people may think.

“There is a meeting before every semester to determine your availability and when you work,” Geske said. “And if you switch around your classes it’s really easy to change your schedule. The managers are very understanding.”

The student workers have the option to select whatever hours they want. Kosnik said some student workers pick up random hours throughout the week. Shift lengths vary widely; some work three-hour shifts, while others work 10.

“This job doesn’t really interfere with social aspects of life,” Geske said. “Because, I mean, these shifts are only two—maybe three—hours long and you choose when to have them. Even if something does come up it’s very easy to get your shift covered.”

As for sleep, both Kosnik and Geske said the key to getting enough of it is to plan accordingly.

“It effects your sleep schedule, but it is just like any other job. The latest shift is 12:30 a.m. so if I know I’m working that shift then I’ll try to get my homework done beforehand or I just wake up the next morning and do it,” Kosnik said. “But it doesn’t drastically change anything.”

Geske said his normal shifts typically end around 10 p.m. However, the late night shift, which is from 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., is randomly assigned and shared among all employees.

“Everyone has to do their turn of working that late night shift (Friday and Saturday) which makes sense. The whole system is pretty fair,” Geske said.

Kosnik said the job rarely interferes with her school schedule. With a majority of her classes and meetings during the day, Kosnik said her late-night job is the perfect fit.

Kosnik said UGL employees are allowed to do homework as long as it doesn’t interfere with helping a patron.

“I think being able to do homework at this job is what makes it so great for college students,” Kosnik said. “I know at a dining hall you can’t do that, at Espresso Royale you can’t do that and even at some other libraries you can’t do that.”

Nevertheless, even the relaxed environment of a library can get chaotic at times.

“One night there was this kid who ran straight into that door over there. He pushed through the door so hard and abruptly that it swung open and slammed into the brick wall behind it,” Kosnik said. “The glass shattered everywhere. I don’t know how that even happened really — that glass was so thick and old. I don’t understand what could have been that urgent.”

Kosnik said working at the UGL is a relatively easy job, but the late nights do wear her down. Usually, she works late on Monday nights, but she doesn’t really mind it.

“I just work from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. and it fits into my schedule pretty nicely. I just get really tired by the end of it,” Kosnik said. “So I come in pretty energized but by the end of it, I’m exhausted for no reason. This job isn’t hard. I just sit here, do my homework, check my email or talk to coworkers.”