Undergraduate library makes changes

Aaron Facemire The Daily Illini ME Online

By Pamela Nisivaco

During the winter break, the Undergraduate Library completed several changes as part of their continuing mission to address students’ needs.

Laptops, MP3 players, hard drives and portable DVD players are now available for check out at the Information Services Desk. All equipment can be checked out for one week, except laptops, which are available for two-hour check out. The Undergraduate Library has also added new iMac computers, and all Undergraduate Library computers have Adobe Creative Suite 2 and iLife Suite software.

“Students really like the technology we’ve brought in,” said Lisa Hinchliffe, head of the Undergraduate Library.

The library staff has also become more accessible. Students can use the instant messenger to talk directly to a librarian under the screen name of “askundergrad.” The Undergraduate Library also has profiles on Facebook and MySpace Web sites.

“We’re trying to connect with students wherever they are,” said Hinchliffe.

Some of the physical changes in the Undergraduate Library are more consolidation and location changes. While there used to be multiple service points throughout the library, now there is only one on the main level.

The Learning Commons is a new space where students can come and collaborate in a comfortable environment. This setting allows for group study and brings many campus services to students in one particular location.

“There is a need for more group-oriented and comfy furniture,” said Hinchliffe. “People need different kinds of environments for different kinds of work.”

As part of the new Learning Commons, the library is currently in the process of constructing group study rooms.

“Study rooms give you the chance to not be out here when it is crowded,” said Ross Chapman, junior in LAS.

The funding for the Learning Commons comes through collaboration by the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, University Library and CITES.

While the library has implemented these changes, Hinchliffe said there is still a need for more technology, services and seating. She also said that it is a good problem that the library is often full, but it is also a challenge that needs to be addressed.

“It would be better if they had more computers and seating because people wait in line sometimes to use a computer or to get a seat,” said Youjin Bae, sophomore in LAS.

The library’s physical changes began at the end of the spring semester in 2006 and are still in progress. Hinchliffe said that as money comes in, the library is making more changes.

“We’re really focusing on what students need to do in order to learn,” she said.