UGL extends spring hours

By Sarah Small

In an effort to accommodate the variety of schedules that students keep, the Undergraduate Library adjusted its hours at the start of the Spring 2008 semester to make it easier for students to study anytime they want.

The library is now open 24 hours per day and five days per week, with extended weekend hours as well.

Operating 144 hours per week, the library opens on Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and does not close again until 10 p.m. on Friday. In addition, the library is open from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. on Saturday.

In the fall 2007 semester, the library started working to accommodate more students’ schedules by implementing “study hall hours,” which kept the lobby outside of Espresso Royale open 24-hours for students to use as a quiet area.

Students were disappointed though, said the Undergraduate Library head Lisa Hinchliffe, because they wanted access to the library’s resources as well – not just a place to study.

With the entire library now open 24 hours, students have access to all of the resources, with the exception of the Reference Service, which closes at midnight. Students can view the collections, check out materials and access the CITES computer lab.

The primary change with the new hours is early morning access to the library, which was previously closed from 3 a.m. until 8 a.m. Now, students with early classes have the opportunity to do homework and study before going to class.

Being open all day is also beneficial to students whose schedules do not allow them to study during the afternoon and evening.

Cathy Reszka, senior in LAS, usually does not finish work until about 2:30 a.m., so she said she takes advantage of the new hours to do her studying after work.

“It’s pretty sweet because you can come here all the time, and if you want to pull an all-nighter, it’s easier to stay awake,” said Reszka.

The extended weekend hours also attract many students who use the weekends to catch up on homework. Previously, the library closed at 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and did not re-open until 11 a.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Being open longer presents the challenge of needing to staff the library during the extra hours, Hinchliffe said in an e-mail. From midnight until 7 a.m., the library staffs just enough people needed to keep the building open and maintain safety.

“It’s a privilege to work here in the evenings and make these resources available to the students,” said Paula Adams, library specialist.

The increased costs of running the library with extended hours are paid for through the Library/Information Tech Fee of $200 which is included on students’ E-Bills. It was student feedback that determined this fee would be used to fund the longer hours, said Hinchliffe.

“The Undergraduate works hard to understand the needs of students,” said Hinchliffe. “Providing longer hours tells me that we’re helping them be successful. For me, this is part of us fulfilling our mission and purpose.”