Study questions green job funding

Although the development of renewable energy has been encouraged by Congress, at least one University academic is still skeptical of giving the green light to green technologies.

The passage of the federal stimulus bill in February set aside roughly around $70 billion in spending and tax incentives to encourage the use and development of renewable energy.

The climate change bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives in June also promoted energy efficiency and grants for green jobs.

Andrew Morriss, professor of law and co-author of the study “Green Job Myths,” said he questions the large increases in government funding and mandates that supporters of green jobs have pushed.

“Unfortunately, claims about the wonders of green jobs are all too often constructed on myths about economics, forecasting and technology,” he said.

William Bogart, dean of academic affairs and professor of economics at York College of Pennsylvania, also co-authors the study. He said many of the arguments being used by advocates of green technology subsidies are “right out of the playbook” used by those who claim new sports stadiums will bring more jobs.

Morriss said he believes advocates for the creation of green jobs are sometimes biased in their opinion to justify funding for their initiatives.

“They see optimistic forecasts on technology they like; pessimistic forecast on technologies they don’t like,” Morriss said.

Morriss said the estimates of green job supporters are questionable, as they often do not take into account the people who are going to lose their jobs.

“For example, shifting electricity production from coal to wind means that many coal miners, truck drivers, utility workers and other employees will lose their jobs,” he said.

He said because wind and solar power are more costly than our current sources of energy, utilizing them and shunning more economical energy sources could cost even more jobs if higher energy prices slow the economy.

Andrew Dorchak, law librarian at Case Western Reserve University and another co-author of the study, said he is skeptical about job creation claims because countries such as China are starting to create solar cells and turbines. He said he questions what is going to stop someone from importing renewable energy products.

Morriss said he also believes this is problematic, since most advanced wind and solar technology is created in Europe.

“If green proponents don’t like trade, perhaps they are planning barriers,” Morriss said. “More of the high-tech jobs tend to be in Europe.”

The “Green Job Myths” study also addresses economic and environmental tradeoffs of green jobs.

“It would be nice if we had a choice between clean things and dirty things,” Morriss said.

Bogart said the consequences of placing solar panels and wind turbines in remote locations have not yet been looked into.

“That particular or potential conflict has not hit the headlines yet,” he said.

Bogart also said one of the best places to put solar panels is in the desert. However, he said this may endanger animals in the desert.

“There are no benefits without a cost,” Bogart said. “Sometime you have to think about it.”

One of the best places for wind turbines could be in a corridor stretching from North Dakota to Texas, according to an April report by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Bogart, citing the report, said this could endanger animals such as whooping cranes that migrate through the area.

Morriss said he is not campaigning against the environment. He said he believes free-market policies will provide solutions to environmental problems, and he is a big fan of the outdoors.

“Market mechanisms are the best way to improve environmental policy,” he said.

Bogart said he also is not against protecting the environment. He said he does not appreciate how people are categorized as either being in favor of the environment or against it.

Bogart said he urges people to “think hard before we invest large sums of money.”