Library commemorates 40 years of success

The Undergraduate Library (UGL) celebrated its 40th anniversary on Friday, April 16.

The gathering began with a reception from Paula Kaufman, University librarian and dean of libraries.

She noted the relevance of the library facilities for undergraduate students.

“It’s just a wonderful welcoming place that supports all of the social, study and research needs.” Kaufman said.

Lori Mestre, head of the UGL, said she agreed the library’s ability to meet various needs for students is the basis of its popularity.

She discussed the recreational facilities it provides, such as the gaming center, also plays an important role.

“A lot of students come to the Undergrad (library) because they can get all of those in one place.” Mestre said.

In her talk, Mestre addressed some of the innovations within the UGL over the last 40 years, such as the changes of furniture and technology.

She also noted the structural changes in the library as student dynamics developed.

“Up until four years ago, there were over 1,000 individual study carrels, but as things have progressed. The collaborative and group study has really been important.” Mastre said.

Kaufman said despite progressions, its dedication and service to undergraduate students still remained to be a vital aspect of their academic careers.

“It fills a very important role, and I look forward to celebrating its next birthday.” Kaufman said.

Following the reception, attendees celebrated the anniversary party, offering complimentary food and beverages.

Many went to the courtyard at the lower level of the library to blow bubbles in celebration.

“It’s such a unique form of celebration. There are just not enough chances for college students to play with bubbles anymore,” said Edward Hwang, freshman in Engineering.

The celebration ended with an extensive tour around the UGL led by Mestre for former employees, students and their mothers.

“Probably in about five to 10 years, this whole building might turn out to be a special collections building,” Mestre said.

She said library organizers are in the process of moving the excess storage of the Main Library, which holds approximately 10 million books.

“Because it is underground, it’s a perfect environment for special collection books.” Mestre said.

She added that the courtyard would be covered to prevent light from getting through to prevent damage to the special collection books.

“This may be our last anniversary, we don’t know if we will make it to the 50th.” Mestre added.