Libraries alter hours in response to safety concerns

Several University libraries will begin limiting their hours for the first time since 2008 starting Tuesday, the first day of the spring semester.

The Undergraduate Library and Grainger Engineering Library will be closed to those who are not University students or faculty members between 12 a.m. to 6 p.m. The ACES Library will also be closed from 12 a.m. to 3 a.m.

The hour change is the University’s response to an Illinois Student Senate resolution from December regarding library security.

The resolution establishes sub-closing times for each library, which will only allow entrance to University students and faculty during those hours.

The resolution was created to ensure student safety at campus libraries late into the night.

With this change, University students will be required to present a valid I-Card for entry to each of the libraries during these hours.

The lower level of the Undergraduate Library will also be closed from 12 a.m. to 6 a.m.

The decision was made after prolonged debate between University Library Staff and the Illinois Student Senate.

“We have had an ongoing discussion with student users about making the change as well. Ever since we went to 24-hour service, we’ve been receiving e-mails from students and parents regarding the safety of the building,” said Scott Walter, associate dean of libraries.

The issue of security was brought to the forefront of discussion after several incidents occurred in and around the Undergraduate Library.

“There were a couple of thefts and, of course, the most recent incident of attempted robbery outside of the library,” Walter said.

Though University and local police have been increasing security on campus for several months, the new library hours are a step forward for the University as they attempt to ensure students’ safety.

“The libraries run separately and decided on the change for themselves,” said University Police Lieutenant Skip Frost.

Though the new hours may inconvenience those who are not affiliated with the University, the change is not meant to be a hassle to student users.

“We still want the libraries to be free and open institutions, but we also want them to be safe,” Frost said. “We think it’s a good idea to have only the University-affiliated people in the library for those hours to reduce any chance of incidents.”

Akash Binjrajka, freshman in Engineering, said he does not believe the new hours will significantly help crime in and around the libraries, but they are not an inconvenience to students either.

“Most people carry their I-Cards along with them anyway, since they are required to enter other facilities,” Binjrajka said.

Both Walter and Frost agree the new hours are a good idea and a step toward a safer campus environment.