Library classification changes expected to ease navigation

The University’s libraries are undergoing a change in classification systems that will make locating books and other media simpler.

Currently, the library uses a variant of Dewey Decimal Classification known as EDDC, but is now in the process of moving to the Library of Congress Classification, or LCC. The transition that began in the spring of 2011 is now focusing on the Undergraduate Library’s media collection.

“The changes are necessary because the (Library of Congress classification) is used by nearly all the research and academic libraries, whereas the EDDC is more commonly used in public libraries, elementary schools and secondary school libraries,” said Harriett Green, librarian and assistant professor of library administration.

The University is not the only institution implementing these changes; recently, the University of Michigan, Purdue University, Duke University and Southern Illinois University have changed their libraries to LCC, according to a spring 2010 report. According to the report, all of these universities reported that the switch resulted in faster and cheaper cataloging.

“This change will make it easier for students at the University of Illinois to navigate their way through the libraries,” Green said.

In contrast to the EDDC, the LCC simplifies call numbers, making it easier to track down a book by its main class and topic.

Paula Carns is a librarian at the Literature and Language Library, one of the first libraries to complete the transition process. Carns said the change to LCC “saves us quite a bit of time and money because we can download or buy premade records that already have the classification of books versus developing one (of our own).”

Other libraries may also join the Literature and Language and UGL in this change, which Lori Mestre, head of the UGL, said could be positive for the University. Mestre had originally proposed the change to the Dean of the Libraries.

“There are good opportunities that are present with the consolidation of the University’s libraries,” Mestre said.

She added that this is also a good time for other kinds of reorganization, such as switching out rarely used books for more heavily used books.

“Many of the University’s libraries are currently undergoing consolidation, making it an opportune time to convert the books,” Mestre said.

While students conducting research may need to familiarize themselves with the new system, Carns said that students reading for leisure may not notice the change.

At this time, Mestre said the project does not have a set deadline for completion.