Shots fired near University on Green Street

Police cars and fire trucks gather on Green Street outside of Evergreen Tobacco after a shooting that took place early Sunday morning.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Update: 10:45 a.m.

University of Illinois Police Chief Jeff Christensen issued a campus safety notice. In it, he said that law enforcement agencies are working to find the people responsible for the crimes.

One University student was injured. The vice chancellor for student affairs is providing support to the student and counseling to any students who need it, he said.

“Our campus community is a strong one, and our thoughts are with the victims, their families and anyone else affected by this violence,” Christensen said.

Update: 10:00 a.m.

At 4:02 a.m. an Illini alert was released stating the suspect was out of campus town. At 6:46 a.m., an Illini alert gave preliminary reports of shots fired at 12:38 a.m. in the 300 block of Green Street.

The Champaign Police Department later released a statement with further information.

The police are asking that anyone at the party or who witnessed the events, please contact the Champaign Police Investigations Division at [email protected] or phone 217-351-4545. Anonymous tips can be left at 217-373-8477, online at www.373tips.com or by texting “CCTIP” plus the crime information to 274637 (CRIMES).

Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of those person(s) responsible for these crimes.

Update: 3:47 a.m.

Update: 3:10 a.m.

University of Illinois Police Department Sergeant Rickey W. Bell said the crime scene will be closed until at least 6 a.m. and could not confirm or deny any shootings.

No injuries or casualties have been confirmed at this time.

Updated: 1:31 a.m.

The shooter has left the area, according to an Illini-Alert. The area from Healey to Green streets and from Second to Fourth streets is blocked off. People are being told to avoid the area.

The Champaign Police Department is not confirming anything at this time as the incident is still under investigation.

Updated: 1:18 a.m.

Gunshots were fired on Green Street between Third and Fourth streets, according to an Illini-Alert sent out around 1 a.m. Sunday morning.

The alert said to avoid the area and that there would be more information to come.

Shots were fired in the alleyway behind the US Post Office located at 302 E. Green St., according to the police scanner. 

Renee Pond, senior in LAS, was at Red Lion at the time of the incident. The bar is near the area from which police are reporting shots fired.

“I did not hear any gunshots,” Pond said. “I was having a good time and then they started pushing us back into Lion, I thought we were getting raided. I was kind of confused.”

Follow The Daily Illini for continued coverage of the situation.