Blood drive to be held on December 2 at the ARC

Daily Illini File Photo

Blood drive at Newman Hall from the American Red Cross.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

University students will be able to donate blood through the Red Cross on Dec. 2. The blood drive will start at 11 a.m. and last until 6 p.m. at the Activities and Recreation Center.

Laurie Nehring, who has worked as a communications director for the American Red Cross for over two years, stressed the importance of donating. 

“Donated blood may be used to help accident victims, surgery patients, organ transplant patients and those receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer or sickle cell disease,” Nehring said. 

During this blood drive last year, Nehring said 57 pints of blood were donated.

A person with O negative blood is considered to be a universal donor, and types B negative and A negative can be donated to a large portion of the population.

Someone with one of these negative blood types can make a Power Red donation, which concentrates on red blood cells that help carry oxygen through the body. These donations are typically given to trauma and surgery patients. 

Students who are unsure of their blood type are still welcome to donate blood on Friday. 

“Donations are always needed,” Nehring said. “Those interested in learning more can download Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS.”

Ashley Harris, Sabrina Yan and Madeleine Hubbard contributed to this report.