University set to archive years of professor’s work

The+work+of+University+professor+Fred+Kummerow+is+set+to+be+archived+by+the+Main+Library.+

TNS

The work of University professor Fred Kummerow is set to be archived by the Main Library.

By Kevin Delgado, Staff Writer

The work of 102-year-old Fred Kummerow, Comparative Bio-sciences professor at the University, is expected to be archived by the Main Library in attempt to preserve years of his research.

Kummerow’s research on heart-clogging trans fats gained controversial worldwide recognition during his journey to remove trans fats from the human diet.

“By showing that heart disease is not caused by cholesterol and getting the FDA to remove artificial trans fat from the GRAS list, I feel I have helped humanity and saved many lives,” Kummerow said in an email.

Kummerow’s family donated his collection of files to the school after Kummerow’s on campus lab was closed due to lack of funds.

While working to archive Kummerow’s years of work, the Main Library has uncovered letters to and from Kummerow that reflect the country’s history.

“I feel good about my papers being archived because it shows that my life work is doing something useful,” he said.

He said that when it comes to research, one advice he would give researchers  is to “remain true to their ideals, to believe in their work and to continue to work on their beliefs even when there is opposition against them.”

Among the 110 file boxes of work authored by Kummerow were letters addressed to five U.S. presidents and members of Congress on topics such as the national debt, the Vietnam War, nuclear weapons and energy.

Though the papers will not be digitized, there will be an online description of the work that is currently kept in acid-free files and boxes so it can be utilized for future research.

Susanne Belovari, archivist for faculty papers at the University, estimates that the project will cost $22,000 to $38,000 to complete, though the family and friends of Kummerow have donated $28,500.