Student government introduces sexual assault discussion initiative

Alma+Mater+stands+near+the+Main+Quad+wearing+an+Its+On+Us+campaign+shirt.+

Declan Harty

Alma Mater stands near the Main Quad wearing an It’s On Us campaign shirt.

By Gillian Dunlop, Assistant News Editor

After the veto of the annual It’s On Us initiative to bring sexual assault awareness to the University, the Illinois Student Government passed a new resolution to hold four educational lunches during the month of April about sexual assault.

These lunches, which will be in collaboration with the Women’s Resource Center, will serve to “educate students regarding sexual assault and misconduct prevention, promoting behavior change and active bystander intervention,” according to the resolution.

The educational lunches will focus on topics such as campus safety notices, sexual misconduct investigations on campus and confidential resources.

Although the lunches will cost over $1,000, Rahul Raju, junior in Engineering, thinks the money is worth it.

“Spending this money on a very valuable conversation is a great idea,” he said.

The lunches will take place April 7, 13, 21 and 28 in the Illini Union.

In addition to the vote on the educational lunches, the student government decided to transition to the new presidential administration during the 12th week of the semester instead of the 14th, which will allow the new administration more time to acclimate to their positions.

“We’ve reached our laying duck period,” said Alex Villanueva, vice president of the Illinois Student Government and senior in LAS. “We aren’t going to get anything done, (so we) might as well move into the next session.”

Due to the passage of this resolution, the last meeting of the current administration will take place on April 12.

The senate also nominated Tara Chattoraj, junior in LAS, and David Alston, freshman in Engineering, to be the public relations chair.