Applications available for Illinois Student Government positions

Spencer+Haydary+at+the+Illinois+Student+Government+in+the+Pine+Room+at+the+Illini+Union+on+Feb.+1st.+

Patrick Li

Spencer Haydary at the Illinois Student Government in the Pine Room at the Illini Union on Feb. 1st.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The application for Illinois Student Government positions is available for University students and is due Tuesday, April 11 at 11:59 p.m.

Students interested may apply for more than one position, but if appointed, they will only be able to serve under one branch of government.

Some available positions include chief of staff, treasurer, communications director and press secretary.

“Qualifications for a senator position include majoring in the college that you are representing,” Spencer Haydary, chief of staff for Illinois Student Government, wrote in an email. “As for informal qualifications, we usually look for experience.”

For example, someone applying for the chief of staff position would probably have been on senate for a few years. Someone applying for treasurer would have had experience running an RSO’s treasury, Haydary wrote.

Positions for Illinois Student Government are competitive, he wrote. “We typically have anywhere between five to ten applicants per position.”

Haydary encourages students to apply. “It’s better to apply than not to apply,” he wrote. “Even if you think that you are not qualified, you should still apply because you might be surprised.”

Haydary urges candidates to take the application seriously and to answer questions thoroughly.

“There is really no reason to not get involved with student government,” he wrote. “There are a lot of issues at this university that people care about, and the best way to do it is to get involved and become a part of it.”

Taylor Howard and Jessica Berbey contributed to this report.