Student government connects with Joe Biden, develops transportation liaison role

The+Illini+Student+Government+in+the+Pine+Room+at+the+Illini+Union+on+Jan.+18.+The+student+government+participated+in+a+conference+call+on+April+5+with+former+Vice+President+Joe+Biden+regarding+the+It%27s+On+Us+initiative.+
The Illini Student Government in the Pine Room at the Illini Union on Jan. 18. The student government participated in a conference call on April 5 with former Vice President Joe Biden regarding the It's On Us initiative.

Sabrina Yan

Sabrina Yan

Gillian Dunlop, Assistant News Editor

A conference call took place between universities that participate in the national anti-sexual assault campaign, It’s On Us, and former Vice President Joe Biden. Biden commended the University in its efforts against sexual assault during his talk.

The nominees for the public relations chair were invited to give a two-minute speech to advocate for themselves for the position. Nominee Tara Chattoraj, junior in LAS, was not present at the meeting, but David Alston, freshman in Engineering, gave a few remarks.

“Improving communications between the senate and the general student body (is important to me),” Alston said.

Alston also wants to make sure the government is prepared for Quad Day 2017.

“I’m a townie and I absolutely love Quad Day,” he said. “I have years of experience walking around Quad Day and getting whatever free crap I could get.”

A resolution was passed approving a student transportation liaison. The liaison’s primary responsibilities will include communicating with MTD and the administration about transportation inquiries.

A resolution regarding the new member orientation was also passed. This is designed to help new members of the student government learn parliamentary procedure. $211.93 were allocated to this event for snacks and beverages.
gdunlop2@dailyillini.com