Current student government holds final meeting

Student+body+president+Ron+Lewis+addresses+the+student+senate.+The+last+meeting+under+the+current+administration+was+on+Wednesday%2C+April+12.+
Student body president Ron Lewis addresses the student senate. The last meeting under the current administration was on Wednesday, April 12.

Brian Bauer

Brian Bauer

Gillian Dunlop, Assistant News Editor

Tonight concluded the last official Illinois Student Government meeting with the current body of officers and senators.

“I would like to thank you all for the opportunity to lead you all,” Ron Lewis, student body president, said.

Along with sentiments of gratitude passing throughout the government, a resolution for Quad Day 2017 was passed.

The resolution allocated $3,260 of funding towards advertising, new iClickers, lanyards and stress balls along with any miscellaneous expenses and the registration fee. There was a debate on whether this resolution should be voted on by the new body which begins next week, however the government voted to pass it anyway.

The New York Times will be hosting a Facebook Live event on April 19 to help college students become more politically engaged, and has personally invited the University to participate in the watch party.

Tony Award winning actor, Leslie Odom Jr. will be participating in the event in New York along with New York Times political reporter, Yamiche Alcindor.

The student government allocated $200 of funding for a room reservation in the Union so students can be a part of the watch party.

Funding for the National Campus Leadership Council event was also allocated so that President-elect, Raneem Shamseldin can attend the conference in Washington D.C. in early June. The funding included $922.99 for airfare, hotel and registration.

Next week Shamseldin along with other elects will be officially sworn in as a part of the new student government administration.

gdunlop2@dailyillini.com