Illinois Athletics co-hosts fundraiser to battle cancer

Illinois+Athletics%2C+Colleges+Against+Cancer%2C+Illini+Pride+and+the+American+Cancer+Society+will+be+hosting+a+cancer+fundraiser+on+April+28+at+Eichelberger+Field.+The+fundraiser+features+various+sports-themed+activities+for+the+purchase+of+a+%245+ticket%2C+which+includes+entry+to+the+Illinois+vs.+Wisconsin+softball+game+after+the+event.+

Illinois Athletics, Colleges Against Cancer, Illini Pride and the American Cancer Society will be hosting a cancer fundraiser on April 28 at Eichelberger Field. The fundraiser features various sports-themed activities for the purchase of a $5 ticket, which includes entry to the Illinois vs. Wisconsin softball game after the event.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Fighting Illini Fight Cancer Relay Race event, meant to raise cancer awareness on campus and throughout the community, will take place on April 28 at Eichelberger Field.

“Almost everyone has been affected by cancer in one way or another,” said event organizer Taylor Hardy, in an email.

The event, hosted by University students, Illinois Athletics, Colleges Against Cancer, Illini Pride and the American Cancer Society, will allow students to meet and take photos with Illini athletes, as well as receive autographs.

The fundraiser will also feature various sports-themed activities.

Hardy said that through this fundraiser, they intend to “bridge the gap between cancer nights at sporting events and getting Illini Nation involved at outside cancer events or fundraisers.”

Participants will also be given the opportunity to win two T-shirts signed by Lovie Smith, the University’s head football coach and the previous head coach of the NFL’s Chicago Bears.

“Combining the spirit and passion behind Illinois Athletics with a great cause can not only help people keep fighting, (but also aid in) celebrating and remembering those who have won or lost their battle against cancer,” Hardy said.

The event goes from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m and is $5 per person, which includes entry to the Illinois vs. Wisconsin softball game that begins immediately after the event. The fee can be paid either in person the day of or online through the group’s fundraising website.

Hardy said the event is open to people of all ages and there will be activities for everyone.