Pandamonium Doughnuts food truck to expand, open Savoy storefront

Pandamonium+Doughnuts%2C+a+gourmet+doughnut+food+truck%2C+has+been+serving+Champaign-Urbana+specialty+handcrafted+treats+since+its+start+in+May+2013.+Pandamonium+will+be+opening+its+first+permanent+location+in+Savoy+later+this+year.+

Daily Illini File Photo

Pandamonium Doughnuts, a gourmet doughnut food truck, has been serving Champaign-Urbana specialty handcrafted treats since its start in May 2013. Pandamonium will be opening its first permanent location in Savoy later this year.

By Andrea Flores

Pandamonium Doughnuts, a popular local food truck, is opening a permanent storefront later this summer.

The new space, set to open late summer or early fall, will also be a full coffee shop, said Pandamonium Doughnuts owner James Kyung.

“The storefront will allow us to utilize our own space and expand the flavor menu, adding things that we can’t necessarily do in a food truck,” said Kyung.

Although the store is located off campus at the Windsor Galleria in Savoy, Kyung assures University students that he plans to keep the food truck running.

“Most of the feedback we got were questions about whether or not the food truck will still be around,” said Kyung. “We’ll still bring it on campus and at the farmer’s market.”

Due to high demand, the food truck often runs out of doughnuts as early 9 a.m.

“They always have a wide variety of higher end donuts that you can’t find at a chain restaurant,” said Matt Bertagna, senior in Animal Sciences. “It just sucks that they always run out, but it’s great that they’re expanding.”

Pandemonium is joining the ranks in local food trucks expanding to permanent locations, following last month’s opening of Cracked’s Green St. location.

“We’ve been looking for [a location] for a while now,” said Kyung. “We can’t wait to get started.”