Local foundations receive donation from Yahoo

The+UIUC+Habitat+for+Humanity+chapter+and+volunteers+work+on+the+blitz+build+of+506+Columbia.+The+organization+is+currently+working+on+building+its+100th+home.+
The UIUC Habitat for Humanity chapter and volunteers work on the blitz build of 506 Columbia. The organization is currently working on building its 100th home.

Photo Courtesy of Brittany Lung

Photo Courtesy of Brittany Lung

Jessica Bursztynsky, Interim Editor-in-Chief

Three local not-for-profits received grants from the Yahoo Employee Foundation June 12 for a total of nearly $1 million dollars.

Habitat for Humanity of Champaign County, Don Moyer Boys & Girls Club and the Eastern Illinois Foodbank individually received $320,000.

The Yahoo Employee Foundation is employee focused, said Engineering Manager Greg Muchnik, meaning employees “champion grants” and “decide where the money goes.” Many of the employees have volunteered with these organizations in the past, said Muchnik.

Last year, the three not-for-profits received smaller grants. Muchnik said he hopes the larger amounts this year can allow the organizations to have an even higher impact.

“We are very excited for this very generous donations,” said Sheila Dodd, director for Habitat for Humanity. “We will leverage the Yahoo funds for Illinois Affordable Housing Tax Credits and matching foundation grants to build houses and make a neighborhood impact in Champaign County well into the future. “

Representatives from each of the three organizations attended the event on Wednesday to accept the checks.

burszty2@dailyillini.com