Governor appoints new trustee, first local representative in years

The+University+of+Illinois+Board+of+Trustees+holds+a+meeting+at+the+Illini+Union+in+January.+Gov.+Rauner+appointed+Stuart+King+to+the+board+today.+The+newest+member+is+also+the+first+local+representative+in+over+a+decade.++
The University of Illinois Board of Trustees holds a meeting at the Illini Union in January. Gov. Rauner appointed Stuart King to the board today. The newest member is also the first local representative in over a decade.

Brian Bauer

Brian Bauer

Jessica Bursztynsky, Interim Editor-in-Chief

Gov. Bruce Rauner appointed a new member to the Board of Trustees on Friday, the first local representative in over a decade.

Stuart King, an alumnus and past University employee, lives in Champaign and is a practicing physician at the Christie Clinic.

King has a long history with the University, as he received his B.A., M.A. and MBA from the system.

Additionally, King served as the Interim Assistant Dean of Clinical and Academic Affairs at the University’s College of Medicine.

“The appointment of Dr. Stuart King, a Champaign native and University of Illinois graduate, to the Board of Trustees will have a significant positive impact on the University and our community,” said Mayor Deb Feinen in a prepared statement. “It has been years since Champaign-Urbana was represented on the Board, and our community more than any other in the State is impacted by the University and the decisions of the Board of Trustees. Dr. King is a thoughtful and hard-working individual who cares passionately about the University and its students.”

There is still one vacant spot on the Board of Trustees.