University sets new record in diversity enrollment

By Rebecca Wood, Staff writer

The University of Illinois has hit an all time high in enrollment numbers including an increase in diversity and first generation students as well.

More undergraduate students were trying to get into the University this year, with 33,624 undergraduate students enrolling, which is higher than last year’s record of 33,523. Overall enrollment is also higher with 47,826 students compared to last year’s 46,496 students.

With 7,518 students, this incoming freshman class sits among the 10 largest in the country.

This year’s freshman class contains 995 students whom consider themselves Latino, and 500 whom consider themselves African American. Additionally, 118 students selected “Latino” or “multiracial” but also identified as African American, but were not included in the African American category.

The number of freshmen coming in as first generation college students in their families has gone from 20.5 in 2015, 21.6 in 2016 to 21.9 this year.

Thirty one countries are represented this year by 1,116 students, an increase from 1,039 students last year.

In-state student numbers has slightly decreased from last year with 5,507 freshman from Illinois enrolled this year and 5,664 enrolled in 2016.

“We are proud to be among the  Big Ten schools that enroll the most in-state students, and we have no plans to change that,” said Robin Kaler associate chancellor for public affairs.

Kaler said that the University’s enrollment goal is “always to attract the best possible class of scholars and to prepare them to become the leaders of their generation.”