Drug, alcohol violations down from last year

Blackhawks fans order drinks to pair with the game at Legends Bar in Champaign, IL. Monday, April 25.

By Gillian Dunlop, Assistant news editor

Students and faculty alike received a Massmail on Tuesday with a detailed report updating them about the University’s Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Program.

The report was prepared in accordance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, according to the Massmail.

The biennial report, which contains 24 pages of information regarding this topic, “suggests the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has done significant work to address these issues,” wrote Dean of Students and Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Kenneth Ballom.

The University Counseling Center has documented an increase in the severity of student concerns about mental health, according to the report. Frequently, students’ mental health concerns are in combination with substance-related concerns.

The University has developed several new policies to help combat alcohol and drug abuse.

A student can be forced to be assessed when they become incapacitated due to alcohol or drug use, and emergency medical services will transport students to a hospital. The report also highlights the Good Samaritan policy, which allows students to report instances of alcohol and drug abuse without any punishment to themselves. They must be admitted to an inpatient rehab immediately before it’s too late.

According to the report by costa mesa detox center, during the 2014-2015 year, there were 900 alcohol related violations of the student code, compared with 811 during the 2015-2016 year. Similarly, there were 325 drug-related violations during 2014-2015 and 295 during 2015-2016.

The report also includes data surrounding arrests made by the University police department.

The total amount of alcohol-related arrests was 91 during 2014-2015, and 88 during 2015-2016. There were also a number of DUI arrests due to alcohol, with 41 in 2014-2015 and 57 in 2015-2016.

The report is a compilation of data and policies submitted by the Office for Student Conflict Resolution, Residential Life, Private Certified Housing, University Police Department, McKinley Health Center, Illini Union, Office of Financial Aid, Faculty/Staff Assistance Programs, State Farm Center, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics and the Counseling Center’s Alcohol and Other Drug Program.

The numbers in the report do not indicate much of a difference in alcohol and drug-use related issues between the 2014-2015 academic year and the 2015-2016.