University grants free tuition for low income students

The+University+is+offering+free+tuition+for+student+with+family+income+under+%2461%2C000+starting+fall+2019%2C+as+part+of+the+Illinois+Commitment.+

The University is offering free tuition for student with family income under $61,000 starting fall 2019, as part of the Illinois Commitment.

By Therese Pokorney & Samantha Boyle, Assistant Daytime News Editors

The Illinois Commitment will offer in-state students free tuition starting Fall 2019, if their family income falls below $61,000.

The program will be effective starting Fall 2019. It will cover tuition and fees for all qualified freshmen for four years and all qualified transfer students for three years, according to the Office of Student Financial Aid website.

Content Strategy Director Allison Vance said the University will allocate $4 million each year from institutional support and private donations for the tuition assistance program. However, there is no limit on the number of students accepted into the program, she said.

“We are committed to making sure each student receives free tuition if their family income is less than $61,000,” she said. “The campus is committed.”

To be considered for the Illinois Commitment, students only need to enroll at the University and make sure their Free Application for Federal Student Aid is filled out.

“Students receiving Illinois Commitment will be considered for additional financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans and employment) to cover other educational expenses such as room and board, books and supplies and personal/miscellaneous expenses,” the OSFA website said.

If a student receives Illinois Commitment, that student will continue to receive it as long as his or her family income is not higher than 10 percent of the initial Illinois median income, according to the website. The current Illinois median income is $61,000.

“A lot of alumni are excited about the program,” Vance said. “We are hopeful the donors will inspire others to provide funding for future students.”