Coping with a scarier than usual Halloween

The letter found in the Undergraduate Library earlier this month threatening a Halloween shooting on Green Street has stoked fears among students and local authorities. Parents have been calling and e-mailing, asking us to stay home tonight and to stay away from Green Street at all costs. But it’s a Friday night, not to mention a holiday. That likely won’t stop people from going out. We understand.

But if you plan on going out tonight and celebrating Halloween, we can’t recommend enough that you take extra measures to be safe.

Since we can’t know whether this is a hoax or the real deal, we have to assume it’s serious and take appropriate precautions.

You shouldn’t treat this night like any other night. First off, it’s not any other Friday night; it’s Halloween. Crazy stunts and parties have been planned for weeks. Secondly, since the letter mentioned an actual crime that took place outside the Savoy 16 Theater, it would be unwise to dismiss it as a mere prank.

Everyone will be decked out in costumes trying to outdo each other. And while the whole SWAT vest is probably the easiest costume to pull off, we highly suggest you stay away – as far away as possible – from reaching for that Airsoft gun to complete your look.

While the police presence was likely to be much higher than usual Friday before the letter was even found, local law enforcement will be even more visible now.

Since they will be on the lookout for any signs of the letter writer making good on the threats in addition to the usual misbehavior of bar patrons, it is more important than ever that students celebrate responsibly and let the police focus on keeping us safe. That includes house parties, the number of which has increased significantly since the letter was publicized.

We need to look out for each other. It is never a good idea to go overboard with booze and then try to walk home. It’s even more dangerous to walk alone at night. You should avoid traveling in dark and unpopulated areas. Also remember that the University offers SafeRides (265-7433) for those without companions.

Above all, please remain aware of your surroundings. If you know about any suspicious behavior, don’t hesitate to contact local police by dialing 911.

As with all Friday nights on a college campus, we urge you to use common sense. Have fun, go a little crazy (emphasis on little), but do not be reckless.

Hopefully, this campus has a happy and safe Halloween and the only thing you’ll have to fear is that terrible costume.