It’s time to drop the flip-flop

By Leah Pearlman, Columnist

My first day of classes was rough. I had one class in the Siebel Center ending at 1:50 p.m., and then my next class started 10 minutes later at 2 p.m. all the way across campus in the Armory.

Okay, not really — I’m a journalism major and all of my classes are on the Main Quad. Also I doubt anyone is crazy enough to create a situation like this for themselves, considering these two buildings are 20 minutes walking distance from each other.

However, you get my point. We, as University students, generally walk a lot more than we used to as high school students and especially a lot more than we do at home during summer. And this change in physical exertion requires us to take on more than just double-strapping our backpacks.

As the sun beams down on our beautiful campus, you’ll be hot and sweaty and looking for a release, but I beg you not to look to the literal thong of the foot world: the flip-flop. In fact, I would rule out any flat sandal without a backing if you’re walking around campus.

Our campus is a mini city of about 44,000. Not a day goes by where I don’t see vomit, trash or shards of glass on the streets and sidewalks of Champaign-Urbana. It’s a known fact that our campus isn’t the cleanest under our shoes, and without proper footwear protection, you are exposing your feet to these potentially harmful settings and engaging with them in an intimate way. It isn’t hard for a shard of glass to get under a sandal or flip-flop and do some serious damage.

The same goes for exposing yourself indoors as well. I cannot imagine the type of person who would choose to wear sandals into a bar like The Red Lion or KAMS, but I have seen it happen. This is inappropriate and unsafe bar wear — these bars, and most bars on campus, have disgusting floors.

According to a Cosmopolitan interview with podiatrist Dr. Jackie Sutera, exposing your feet can get them covered in Staphylococcus. Beyond how gross this bacteria sounds — super gross — it actually irritates the skin on the bottom of your foot. And in the worst case, this disgusting bacteria can lead to the amputation of your foot. This depends on whether you have any open wounds like microwounds from exfoliation or actual cuts in your foot, and your state of health when you pick up the bacteria. Yes, this is terrifying; however, you shouldn’t be surprised when you are buying a $1.99 piece of thin foam to wear as a shoe.

Even worse than the health risks that come from these flat, backless shoes: flip-flops slow you down. While going to and from class, I personally like to get where I am going and get there early. An Auburn University study showed that flip-flop wearers take smaller steps than those who wear sneakers. Although this isn’t too surprising, the shorter strides actually cause one to walk slower and make it easier to trip over yourself. These qualities are nothing but a nuisance to a college student on the move.

And, to be brutally honest, flip-flops are just plain ugly. Why are you wearing a shoe that you wear in dorm showers to avoid fungal infections out in public? Don’t get me wrong, I love a flat sandal. I just won’t wear a pair to a bar or out at night on this campus. In a time where the super trendy shoe is the sneaker, I see no harm in wearing a pair to add to your look, while also keeping your feet safe and comfortable.

Your feet are an important body part to take care of as you age. A good pair of sneakers actually does the opposite of a sandal: they cushion and support your feet and arches as you walk in them. Flat sandals create a hard strike against your heel as you walk in them. These flat shoes can ruin your heels, as there is nothing to absorb shock as you walk. Standing and walking in flip-flops for periods of time also causes pain, which distracts you from your main focus during a passing period: getting to your next class.

Also, we don’t need an announcement when you enter a room. If you wear a pungent enough perfume, we will get the point without you having to wear the loudest shoes ever invented. Your flip-flopping all over the place gives the rest of the world anxiety. Spend your $1.99 elsewhere.

If you wouldn’t walk this campus shoeless, then keep the flip-flops to the communal showers, you will thank me later.

Leah is a sophomore in Media.