A new phrase, a new way to devalue women

Billy Galant

Billy Galant

By Leah Pearlman, Columnist

pearlmanleah

There has been a long circulating stereotype that “typical girls” act a certain way.  They love their iced coffees, zumba classes, inspirational Pinterest boards, their choker necklaces, they gush over Lululemon leggings and go crazy over “The Bachelor.” They shorten already very short words into smaller, even shorter words (see: cray, insta, HU-ed, ily).

The phrase some would choose to call these girls is “basic bitch.” Sadly, that phrase is thrown around like confetti at a parade, and I am sick of it.

I used to poke fun at myself and others with lighthearted references to those two words; calling someone “basic” is the chicest of all put-downs. But it is just that: a put-down. And I have failed to consider the seriousness that these words can hold. They take things women enjoy and turn them into qualities that diminish their standings as unique individuals.

What’s more, terms like “basic bitch” fuel the stereotype that white females (among other demographics) are nothing more than vapid, self-centered consumers in a society that puts us on a lower shelf than our male counterparts.

Take for example, the way the word “bitch” alone is perceived in society. It is a term often used in the workplace to negatively describe assertive or driven women, while their male counterparts are assigned words like “leader” and “confident.”

And although there are girls trying to transform this word from an insult to a compliment, (Bitch Media attempted to reclaim the word by putting it in the name of their publication) it is still a largely sexist term that is used out of rudeness and aggression. Even though some use this word endearingly, we must realize that many people are not using it in this way.

Adding basic to the word bitch makes women feel like their likes and dislikes relegate them to a certain stereotype or make them any less of an individual. Why should we have to explain ourselves for doing the things we like and living the way we want to live?

Especially now, as fall is upon us, this term becomes more prevalent. But despite what the media is telling women, it is possible to love apple picking and pumpkin spice lattes and UGG boots and still remain distinct, multi-faceted human beings. In fact, I’m drinking a grande skim pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks as I write this now.

But what I need is for you to not judge me for this fact — just realize it’s a damn good drink. In spite of all the healing, movement and progress women have experienced, we’re still falling into a game of deciding which women matter and which don’t simply based on topical observations, aesthetic choices and even beverage selections.

It is time to take control of this conversation and quit letting society define us. Women are extraordinary, not basic. And we shouldn’t settle for being called a “basic bitch” simply because many of us enjoy similar things.

Continuing to use this term is literally creating and celebrating a new demeaning name for women, and perpetuating girl-on-girl bullying. Can we be done with this now?

And this girl-on-girl judgement and bullying allows boys to think it is okay to use these words to define woman, but it isn’t.

You like the taste of pumpkin, and that doesn’t say anything about you; it says something about our society continuously choosing to objectify, stereotype and disempower woman. Denounce “basic bitch-ness” and enjoy your drinks on me today girls!

Leah is a sophomore in Media and Art and Design.                   [email protected]