Illini Republican bake sale has flawed reasoning

The Illini Republicans host a bake sale on the Main Quad to bring attention to affirmative action.

Photo Courtesy of Kimberly Quiroga

Photo Courtesy of Kimberly Quiroga

Tatiana Rodriguez, Columnist

When the Illini Republicans’ latest political stance is making baked goods to uphold white supremacy, you know they’re getting desperate.

A few weeks before March 14, the date of the Illini Republicans’ “Affirmative Action Bake Sale,” the Illini Republicans became frustrated that there weren’t enough white men on campus, prompting them to take a stand based on ignorance.

During the event, baked goods were sold at various prices based on perceived race and perceived gender. This has generated a discussion on whether or not affirmative action policies are harmful to the University.

In the description of the event, the Illini Republicans stated: “Affirmative action has not decreased racial discrimination; it has promoted it. Rather than helping disadvantaged communities, it has had the unintended consequence of penalizing impoverished Asian and Caucasian individuals.”

It’s interesting that the mostly white Illini Republicans have placed the word “Asian” in front of “Caucasian” in the description, in order to appear as if they actually care about people of color. Additionally, they are furthering the stereotype that Asian people are model minorities who don’t face their own forms of oppression.

The Illini Republicans’ attempts to present itself as a color-blind group that wishes society could just get rid of social identities and only judge people based on merit and the quality of their character.

While this could be achievable in an idealistic utopia, it is not the reality. Race has been constructed and reinforced to uphold white supremacy and rationalize oppression for centuries. Unless pre-existing racism is eradicated, color-blindness is not an option.

Therefore, the consequences of race are real and cannot simply be thrown away or ignored — especially if you’re a person of color who has to deal with the reality every day. And part of the reality of dealing with white supremacy has to do with facing institutional racism in higher education — even when affirmative action policies are implemented.

The University’s Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations released this statement on affirmative action policies which briefly mentions how said policies aren’t based on quotas, but rather an extensive set of strategies that are aimed at increasing opportunities for qualified, marginalized students.

While affirmative action has attempted to remedy the fact that people of color are often less likely to get into a school even if they are equally as qualified as white students, affirmative action has ultimately benefited white people, specifically white women.

The Illini Republicans feels that poor white people are disadvantaged when it comes to being admitted into universities and receiving scholarship money. But really, white people, regardless of gender, disproportionately receive more scholarships than people of color.

“Caucasian students receive more than three-quarters (76 percent) of all institutional merit-based scholarship and grant funding, even though they represent less than two-thirds (62 percent) of the student population. Caucasian students are 40 percent more likely to win private scholarships than minority students,” according to a 2011 study by Mark Kantrowitz, a publisher of Cappex.com. 

And when it comes to college admissions and the work force, white women are disproportionately selected more than any other demographic.

So if there really are more white people on college campuses with the most scholarships, why is the Illini Republicans so upset? Perhaps the organization can’t accept that people of color just might be qualified to be here.

Though many other campus groups such as Mixed Student Union, MEChA and Crescendo more successfully protested the affirmative action bake sale, it’s hard to say whether the Illini Republicans learned anything that day besides knowing that its hateful and annoying performance politics will do nothing but cause disruption.

It’s bittersweet that the organizations were able to fundraise in spite of the Illini Republicans.

Though groups like the Illini Republicans continue to exist on campus and spread hate, University students will not stand for intolerance — even if intolerance comes in the form of an overpriced cookie.

Tatiana is a freshman in Media.

25 Comments

• yourbud217

“Making baked goods to uphold white supremacy” (sic – LOL!)

One interesting thing about the semi-illiterate morons who were given a totally UNDESERVED spot at U of I (having had horrible applications and Somalia-level school records): beyond regurgitating mindlessly a few bits of ideological manure which were drilled in their opaque head, they also have no sense of how ridiculous their rhetoric really is.

No wonder that Rodriguez writes memorable sentences such as: “why is (sic) the Illini Republicans (sic) so upset?” [see Al Sharpton below]

Also, her hatred and envy for Asian-Americans is telling. While third generation Asian-American students, with families who started from nothing, are STELLAR students in the best universities, models to emulate for the lazier youth of all ethnicities, moochers of Rodriguez’s ilk make a living out of their endless, phony, eleventh generation grievances.

One day, with her worthless Fake Degree from the College of Media Mafia, Rodriguez will become another Al Sharpton – listen to him, he is Rodriguez’s male model, and the brightest ever member of the grievance gang out of which Rodriguez wants her own little piece of eternal handouts.

Enjoy, this is fabulous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CifYWxJXaI

• Ryan Gilmore

Hey look, a racist idiot spewing hate behind an online pseudonym! Say it again using your real name, coward.

• Richard Smith

It is despicable Rodriguez, promoter of murder, racism, and discrimination that is spewing hate. You are an incredible moron yourself, Gilmore, likely with a “career” also based on peddling that you may be a mother-abused, transgender, castrated Somali Hispanic or something.

Go and beg at another table, you repulsive, racist moron!

• Ryan Gilmore

Meet me at the Rantoul McDonald’s at 6:30pm if you want an ass-kicking

• yourbud217

Well, the impotent burger-flipper apparently likes to brag, like the trash he and his whole trashy family are.

Take a Prozac, honey.

• safeblonde

Ok, Tatiana, see how many Illinois departmental and general scholarships are affirmative towards Caucasian males: the answer is NONE. How many are affirmative towards “people of color” or women: the answer is ALL that mention race or gender. Frankly I am surprised the leftists at Illinois didnt shut down this bake sale. Free speech=hate speech, right?

• Rebecca Spellmeyer

From what I read they did by forming a blockade around the table thus preventing any discussion from occurring which was the whole point.

• yourbud217

When they have an IQ in single digits, shutting other people up is the only form of “debate” they know – take for instance the ridiculous “hero” who threatens to throw Big Mac’s at us. (-;

• Samuel Schoenberg

From the sounds of it, this is one of these scenarios where everyone who got involved just came out looking bad.

• safeblonde

Just everyone who protested.

• Samuel Schoenberg

It’s ironic that you’re trying to make some sort of free speech complaint based on a bake sale that Illinois did not shut down.

• safeblonde

No, I didnt say that…I said I was surprised the Left didnt shut down the event. No complaint from me about the College Republicans, their event, or their free speech!

• Samuel Schoenberg

You can’t be surprised that the Left didn’t shut down the event if they actually did shut down the event.

• d’truth

Another great article, Ms. Rodriguez. Keep fighting the fight. The world and this country depend on individuals like you willing to write what needs to be written to expose the hatred and hypocrisy that has infested this nation in the form of trump nation.

• yourbud217

An aside for the readers: what this literal son of a prostitute “d’lie” avoids telling you is that Racist Rodriguez OPENLY justified and promoted the idea of murdering cops, as part of the “revolution”.
      It is deeply disgusting that such a hateful, horrible human being who does not belong in any decent institution of learning is being tolerated simply because she peddles her skin color to the highest bidder. Typical racism from the racism industry.

• d’truth

What is astonishing is that any institution not designated an asylum for the mentally ill would allow the type of trash you represent to roam it’s grounds. But hey, even come mierda’s like you have a right to better themselves.

• Richard Smith

Poor Affirmative Action “student” – still didn’t learn the difference between “its” and “it’s”.

“Grammar raciss” – like trash likes to say.

• d’truth

Not to be overlooked, I see your two biggest fans can’t get enough of you. I’m writing about you @yourbud217 & richard smith. It amazes me how 2 small individuals can be full of such a large amount of manure. Personally, your comments are amusing. Not only are they worthless, they are useless; I’d say a mirror image of yourselves in text. But please, keep reading. I’m sure Ms. Rodriguez appreciates her work being read even by white supremacist scumbags like you.

• yourbud217

I am not any kind of supremacist and in fact I LAUGH at any accusation of racism coming from murderous pieces of garbage like you.
      I can recognize though Nazi-minded trash like Tatiana Rodriguez – the most horrible human being ever hired by Dying Daily Illini – and her little minions like “d’truth”, well-known in the ghetto especially through pimping the cheap “services” his mother, his sister, and his senile grandmother offer to all passing truck-drivers.

• d’truth

You need help tiny-bud. At best, you’re an idiot but in reality you’re just some deranged-demented fool who believes that your voice actually matters to this world. Hard fact – YOU DON’T MATTER. You are a shameful non-person who could seriously use some sort of psychological assistance. As much as I’d love to waste my time debating the finer points of being human with you, we both know that concept is too far above your little head.

• Richard Smith

Enjoy your Hellary presidency, loser. Likely Barry Hussy Soetero, the racist wimpy charlatan, will end his disgraced days in prison. Enjoy!

• Richard Smith

I don’t have time to feud with the disabled, and obviously Rodriguez & Co. fit the definition, not only in a metaphorical but also purely descriptive, objective way.

I would like to attract the attention of the fair-minded readers not to the delirious rants of Racist Rodriguez & sidekicks, but to a real tragedy, which happened in Urbana-Champaign less than a week ago, yet an obvious cover-up is attempted.

A 15 y.o. boy was systematically bullied, tortured and finally beaten to death by four black hooligans at Centennial High School…. they literally put the victim in an early grave, without provocation. Four on one. (Typical ghetto bravery.) A cover-up is being attempted as we speak – the authorities are trying to drag disclosing the known facts – all people at Centennial know exactly what happened and who did it, there are witnesses etc. – in order for school to end, so they can bury the murder. Disgraceful. Despicable. Do not expect the human garbage (including the former “president”) who wept for the despicable, aggressive, murderous thugs Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown to show any compassion for a real victim of their own racism and murderous “narrative”. These are the REAL racists, the ones who only care for “their own” people. Beyond repulsive, they are.

http://www.crimeonline.com/2017/03/15/teen-attacked-by-students-dies-mysteriously-days-later-death-being-investigated/

• yourbud217

The school director is coincidentally leaving for another job…

The police said it may take six to eight weeks to announce the final results of the autopsy… what a coincidence, they are waiting for the summer break to come…

The News-Gazette deleted HUNDREDS of comments of the victim’s colleagues and of their parents…

Yeah, it doesn’t smell like a cover-up at all.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-03-14/seeking-answers-centennial-students-death.html

• d’truth

@DailyIllini editor…. Letting hateful posts made by these two individuals, richard & yourbud, pass while censoring mine is unjustifiable. Either censor us all or let it play and stay out the way.

• yourbud217

Please, let d’truth to have his moment in the sun. He is surely the pride of his whole neighborhood.