Quick Commentary

Quick+Commentary

By Courtney Boyer, Opinions editor

ALMA APPROVED: Lyft makes efforts to support local charities

Lyft is showing customers once again why it is superior to its main competitor, Uber. Lyft is implementing a new feature that allows the customer to round up their fare price to the nearest dollar to contribute that difference to charity. While still in the works, this will be a great opportunity to provide money to local charities and will really add up over time. As Uber has been facing some backlash as of late for politic related incidents and accusations of female passenger assault, Lyft has come out on top and is growing to become a fiercer opponent than Uber probably thought possible. Lyft has a steadily increasing good reputation among folks who were tired of using a service that they did not entirely feel comfortable with using. For the sake of all of us who enjoy the luxury of these taxi-esque services, let’s hope that Lyft continues the good it is trying to do in local communities and as a company altogether.  

DI DENIED: United Airlines policing the clothing of women passengers

United Airlines is rightfully under fire on Twitter ever since an incident on Sunday when two young girls wearing leggings were not allowed on the airplane due to “inappropriate attire.” The two girls were stopped at the gate and told their attire was not in good taste and were barred from getting on the plane. The reasoning behind stopping these passengers was because spandex was not allowed. This is an unnecessary practice of United Airline who should be more concerned with safety than with what two pre-adolescent girls are wearing on the plane. The policy promotes the sexualization of young girls and should be an unacceptable practice of an otherwise reputable airline. They should re-think these absurd dress code rules and direct them to passengers who are not fully clothed top to bottom, as these girls were when they boarded their flight.