Cracked Commentary: Thoughts on the new storefront

By Courtney Boyer

The comforting yellow presence of the Cracked Truck after dark is gone. The storefront is great; students can satisfy their Cracked needs at a specific location anytime during the morning and into the afternoon.

Jessica Bursztynsky
Cracked opened its first permanent location on Green St. on Monday, March 27th at 10:00 a.m. The restaurant has been operating solely out of food trucks around campus.

However, there is something sad about not seeing the Cracked Truck after long nights out on Green Street. It was reassuring to satisfy the desire for food with some of Cracked’s delicious specialities (especially the crispy tots) after a night out. We thought Cracked would always be there to fill our stomachs and send us home to sleep.

Now, with the new storefront, those Cracked Truck hours have changed and it’s definitely going to take some time to adjust.

Cracked seems like it could be the place it wants to be one day. It’s just not there quite yet. The signature color scheme of yellow and black works. The lack of tables doesn’t. Hopefully, that’s just an opening week deal.

The music works too. It’s not dreaded adult alternative, or worse, Top 40. It’s alt-pop, which it should be. Transitioning from a food truck to a storefront is risky. Part of a food truck’s charm is the elusiveness. A morning bender was only available at certain hours and  at certain locations. Eating the savory tots puts you in a cool club. The storefront has the food and music, but the space needs a bit of the Cracked charm.

It’s pretty clear that Cracked has figured out its formula and is sticking to it. The addition of a permanent storefront has plenty of potential: Space isn’t as limited, so the kitchen and menu have room to grow.

Based on the current lineup on the Cracked restaurant’s large blackboard-style menu, the only difference is the addition of a create-your-own breakfast bowl, which replaces the “Underdog” from the truck. It’s definitely meant to be a deconstructed wrap, with scrambled eggs, hash browns, shredded white cheddar cheese, choice of two vegetables and one spread.

Maybe as the restaurant gets its legs, more sit-down meals will be added for a bona fide breakfast or brunch spot.

For now, the new Cracked restaurant is great if you want to get your favorite offering without tracking down the truck.