University professor receives veterinary medicine award

Photo courtesy of Paige Jepson

Dr. Krista Keller examines an umbrella cockatoo named Leo. Keller has been honored with the Rising Star Award from the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine.

By Howard Yu, Contributing Writer

On Sunday, the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine announced the recipients of its alumni awards. Dr. Krista Keller, assistant professor of zoological medicine at the University, was honored with the Rising Star Award at the commencement ceremony.

This award recognizes a recent alum who has experienced an accelerated career progression with a nationally recognized organization and exhibited excellence in his or her veterinary medical practices. The award cycle is annual, with awards being given out each May at commencement.

“Dr. Keller was the first RUSVM graduate to become board certified in zoological medicine. In the short time since her graduation, she has established herself as a recognized clinician for avian and exotics species, a well-known conference speaker and now on her way to a successful academic career,” said James Errico, assistant director for Institutional Advancement and Alumni Relations of Ross University.

Errico also mentioned that Keller has been very active in RUSVM for many years, providing continuing education at the university’s West Indies Veterinary Conference every year.

“I am extremely proud to be a ‘Rossie’ and a Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine graduate and honored to be bestowed with the inaugural Rising Star Award,” Keller said in an email.

She expressed her gratefulness to her alma mater because it was at RUSVM she discovered her true passion.

While in vet school, I realized that my passion for veterinary medicine includes working with all species,” she said.

Keller has been an assistant professor of zoological medicine at the University since August 2017. Her research focuses on investigating prognostic indicators in zoological species, developing diagnostics and improving therapeutic protocols for an often cutaneous fungal infection of companion lizards.

“I am excited to have a position in academia at a leading research university that will allow me to explore research questions that will improve the quality of life of zoological companion animals,” Keller said.

As the assistant professor, she is hoping to use her position to influence more veterinary students at the University and to help improve their veterinary knowledge basics and skills with a variety of species.

“I also look forward to see future award winners of the Rising Star Award,” Keller said.