Late-night dining options around campus

Daily Illini File Photo

Antonio’s Pizza on Green Street features its pesto tortellini pizza.

By Isabella Jackson, Supplements Editor

On a college campus, students benefit from the fact that the dinner hour does not end in the evening; rather, many campus restuarants stay open until midnight or later. When hunger pains strike, there are a variety of foods available. 

Antonio’s Pizza

Antonio’s Pizza serves thin-crust pizza by the slice until 11:00 p.m. on weekdays and 3:00 p.m. on the weekends. The chain originally started in Amherst, Massachusetts, but is a campus favorite for pizza late at night. I recommend the pizza topped with tortellini, which combines two of my favorite foods–pizza and pasta! There are several other neat combinations you can try.

Burrito King

If you’re looking for large portions of nachos, burritos or quesadillas, Burrito King is your answer. Located on Green Street, it is a popular late-night destination for Mexican food. I usually get the steak nachos, and even when splitting them with a friend, there are leftovers!

Fat Sandwich

Fat Sandwich is one of the better-known late-night destinations for food. The restaurant serves crazy sandwich combinations such as the Fat Illini, which is topped with chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks and ranch dressing. If you aren’t hungry for an entire sandwich, I would recommend the mac and cheese bites as an after-dark snack.

Chopstix

Chopstix offers carry-out, dine in and delivery of Chinese food on campus until 3:00 a.m. every day. I would recommend the sesame chicken with fried rice; it always seems to hit the spot. The restaurant is one of the only Chinese restaurants open late on campus.

Insomnia Cookies

Insomnia Cookies is my all-time favorite late-night food. Located near the intersection of Sixth and John, it is close to the center of campus and open until 3:00 a.m. It serves cookies and ice cream in a variety of flavors, and the cookies are always straight from the oven. My favorite type is the chocolate mint cookie; when it’s warm, it’s to die for!

Cocomero

Cocomero stays open until 11:00 p.m. and can satisfy your sweet tooth, especially when it’s warm out. Cocomero is a frozen yogurt shop that lets you choose your flavors and toppings. It also serves coffee and bubble tea. As the only self-serve yogurt place on campus, Cocomero can help you get the sweet treat you need in times of trouble.

Bella is a junior in LAS.