Feeding yourself in college: grocery stores and cheap eats

By Tiffany Zhang, Photo editor

Moving out of the dorms and into an apartment is just one of the many steps you’ll take on your way into the real world. That being said, there’s no more dorm meal plan and now you have to fend for yourself food-wise. If you’re struggling to find ways to feed yourself, don’t worry. Here are places where you can buy food, either to prep yourself or to eat ready-made.

Grocery stores

On campus:

County Market, 331 E. Stoughton St.

Am-Ko, 101 E. Springfield Ave.

Off campus:

Walmart, Champaign, Urbana and Savoy

Meijer, Champaign and Urbana

Aldi’s, Champaign and Urbana

Green Onion, Champaign

Schnucks, Savoy, Urbana, and Champaign

Cheap Eats

On campus:

It’s pretty easy to find meal for under $10, even if it’s not necessarily the healthiest.

Besides all of the usual culprits, like McDonald’s, Chipotle, or Subway, there are a few places to eat cheaply that are unique to the UIUC campus.

Joe’s Brewery (½ burgers on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays) – The burgers at Joe’s are great, but their fries are the true hidden gem of the meal. On ½ burger days, you’re definitely getting your money’s worth for a decent meal.

Seoul Taco – This establishment combines Korean and Mexican cuisines to create food that’s unique and delicious.

Craving’s – Chinese food has always been a staple in the cheap meal category.

Bangkok Thai – Bangkok Thai has daily lunch and dinner specials that are not only cheap, but come in a decent portion size.

Off campus:

Buffalo Wild Wings, 1335 Savoy Plaza Lane, Savoy

Steak and Shake, 1709 S. Neil St., Champaign

The Pancake House, 1909 W. Springfield Ave # B, Champaign

Additionally, use apps or websites to find deals. Hooked, EatCU and Grubhub are some of the most popular. If you live in an apartment, often times you will get coupons in the mail, usually for Domino’s or other fast food establishments.

Tiffany is a junior in FAA.