Fall semester dates to remember

By Jason Chun

The beginning of the school year is an exciting yet chaotic time for freshmen on campus. In addition to all of the necessary aspects of acclimating to the University, including moving into the dorms and locating classrooms and buildings, new students have to juggle their social lives. It may seem like it’s impossible to balance both school and social life all while keeping up with the rest of life’s responsibilities.

Don’t worry. Feeling crunched on time to eat, let alone check out all of the things the University has to offer, then look no further. Whether looking to take a break from the first few weeks of school work or registering for classes, here are some important dates for this semester that students won’t want to miss.

• Illini Union Board Smash Bros. Tournament
    • When: Aug. 24, 5 p.m.
    • Where: Illini Union Rec Room
    • What is it: Join other students in a Super Smash Bros. video gaming tournament. There’s a $5 entry fee that includes pizza and drinks and is limited to 64 participants.
  • First home football game against Murray State
    • When: Sept. 3, 2:30 p.m.
    • Where: Memorial Stadium
    • What is it: The first football game of the 2016-2017 Illini football season. Students can buy tickets to Block I, the student-only section of Memorial Stadium.
  • Deadline to drop first 8-week course
    • When: Sept. 16
    • What is it: The deadline for undergraduate students to drop any 8-week course that is part of term A (first eight weeks of the semester).
  • Deadline to drop second 8-week course
    • When: Nov. 11
    • What is it: The deadline to drop any 8-week course that is part of term B (second 8 weeks of the semester).
  • Welcome Reception for International Students
    • When: Aug. 29, 6 p.m.
    • Where: Asian American Cultural Center
    • What is it: An open house welcoming all international students to campus. Participants will get to meet AACC staff members and learn about the different resources available.
  • Engineering Career Fair
    • When: Sept. 7, 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
    • Where: Activities and Recreation Center (ARC)
    • What is it: The first career fair on campus, specific to the engineering field. Career fairs allow students to interact with companies in a professional setting.
  • Deadline to drop semester course
    • When: Oct. 14
    • What is it: The deadline for undergraduate students to drop any semester-long course.