Five things to take part in this fall

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Managing Editor for Reporting

Coming in to Champaign-Urbana as a freshman can be intimidating. Flyers, free bags and countless other things are thrown into your arms every time you step outside. With so many things going on, it can be hard to figure out what to do. As I head into my last semester, I’m going to revisit a few of my favorite moments and things to do in the fall.

1. Take a photo with Alma

If you haven’t done this already, your Instagram will thank you now, and then it will thank you again in about four years. You’ll feel like a true Illini and have something wholesome to send to your parents. Also, it’ll be fun to take a first- and last-day-of-school photo with Alma to see how much you’ve grown after 60-plus credit hours!

2. Visit the apple orchard

Or attend any other October Lovers’ Club (a real Registered Student Organization) activities. Fall in Central Illinois can be a beautiful thing. Grab some of your new dorm friends, put on your flannel and head to Curtis Apple Orchard to get apple cider donuts and go through a corn maize. It’ll truly make you feel like you’re in Illinois, and it’s a great (and easy) way to get off of campus on a Saturday.

3. Go to a football game and tailgate in Grange Grove

Let me start this out by saying I do not understand football. However, I do understand being with friends and eating a hot dog in the newly-renovated Grange Grove. Sure, going to Block with your Greek Life friends on Saturday mornings can be fun, but there truly is something special about actually going to the football game instead of standing in a packed bar at 11 a.m. Even if football isn’t your thing, take a morning off and go support the Illini. Also, be sure to go when there are free tickets for students (which are sent to your student email).

4. Go to Quad Day

Quad Day gives you one of the most “wow, I’m in college!” feelings you can have. Several hundred people pack onto the Main Quad and gather all of the free stuff they can get. The general idea is to find a few RSO’s you could be interested in joining and sign up on their email list. Go, sign up for as many as you can, and try them all out! It’s the perfect way to start off your fall semester and the rest of your four years here.

5. Participate in Homecoming

Last year, I ran the Homecoming 5K, and it’s one of my best memories from the fall. The course is at the Arboretum, so there are trees and small ponds, which make for some nice scenery. It helps that everyone dresses up in their best orange and blue spirit wear. If you’re still not feeling like Illinois is your home by October, this event will kick-start that.

Jessica is a senior in Media.