Four ways to boost your interview confidence

By Molly Zupan, Staff Writer

Tomorrow is the big day. At 9 a.m. sharp, you have an interview with a representative from your favorite company. Feeling anxious, eager and everything in between, you wonder if you’re ready. You remind yourself that past semesters have been preparing you for this quickly approaching moment.

Don’t panic! Check out the tips and tricks below that can help combat those nerves and boost your confidence for the big day ahead.

Practice and prepare

Develop a list of possible interview questions and concerns. Answer them in detail and find ways to mention your strengths and skills. Use these questions to conduct a mock interview with a friend or a classmate. Be thorough and speak with ease and a steady pace.

Write down why you see yourself as the ideal candidate for the position. Reflect on your abilities, experience and knowledge. Hype yourself up.

Utilize campus resources to gain experience and to learn from professionals. Schedule a mock interview at the Career Center. Visit its official website for details and guidelines. The Career Center is also available to review your cover letter and resume, and to offer guidance. Remember that the University is there to help you succeed. Don’t be afraid to reach out.

Relieve stress and unwind

Recognize how your stress levels may be affecting your mood or inhibiting your abilities. Visit the ARC or CRCE regularly before the interview to exercise and to release stress-relieving chemicals such as dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, which are key for mood regulation. Studies show physical activity enhances and heightens self-esteem while promoting physical and psychological health. Take advantage of the resources available on campus.

Take a long shower or hot bath to relax and unwind the night before. Light a candle, hit the lights and indulge. Use Epsom salt to relax the body, to ease stress and to eliminate toxins. Try an essential oil diffuser to refine cognitive function, to elevate mood and to unclog breathing airways. Essential oils such as peppermint, tea tree, eucalyptus, chamomile or lavender are just some of many that benefit the body physically and mentally.

Start your day right

Wake up early. Make your favorite breakfast to ensure you start the day off right. Dress in clothes that are professional but comfortable and that make you feel confident. Take extra time on your appearance so you feel confident and are not worrying about it during the interview.

Leave for the interview early enough to find your way, and don’t forget to bring directions with you. Make sure you have enough time to get where you need to be. Don’t forget important belongings on your way out, such as your cellphone and keys.

Stay positive

Plan something for after the interview to avoid possible negative thoughts or self-doubt. Grab coffee with classmates, sit down for a meal or watch your favorite show.

Embrace either outcome of the interview. If it did not go as planned, view it as practice and look forward to your next one. Don’t allow the interview to define you, your abilities or your worth. Worrying does nothing good for you. The only thing you can do now is relax and let the decision come to you. Either way, de-stress knowing you’ve done your best.

Molly is a sophomore in FAA.