Local restaurants to eat at with your dad

Jessica Jutzi

The new restaurant, Hamilton Walker’s Restaurant, is located on 201 N Neil St. in Champaign.

By Yifan Gu, Contributing Writer

Dads play important roles in our lives. They provide life lessons and always cheer us up when we are down. Dads Weekend is coming up soon. It is time for us to have a relaxed dinner with our dads to show how special they are and recall sweet memories. Luckily, here are some suggestions for you to perfect the day.

The Ribeye

Location: 1701 S. Neil St., Champaign, IL 61820

Type: $$ Steakhouse, American (traditional)

Want to have a nicer dinner with your father? The Ribeye has a laid-back atmosphere with dim lights and a cozy feel.  It’s the perfect place for relaxing with your father.

“The one great steak place” doesn’t put on any airs. You’ll get a fresh ribeye steak, and the cuts can be as large as 32 ounces. Each meal comes with a personal loaf of bread and an unlimited salad bar, which is enough of a meal without the meat. Though steak is clearly the star, chicken and shrimp are also available as a pairing or as a solo meal. Any way you carve it, this place stands the test of time.

Chinatown Buffet

Location: 713 W. Marketview Drive, Champaign, IL 61822

Type: $ Chinese, buffet, sushi bar

Do you want to try a gluttonous feast with your dad? Plenty of restaurants are all you can eat, but Chinatown Buffet will be your best choice. This restaurant is outfitted with carved wall paintings and sculptures to create a cozy and inviting environment for family dinners.

For $11.59 ($7.99 at lunch) for weekdays and $12.59 for weekends, you get an unlimited plate of various and delicious Chinese cuisines, appetizing Japanese sushi courses, well-cooked seafood and unlimited drinks, which change nightly. A whopping 50 different cuisines are available — everything from fresh seafood to crème desserts — so you can end your meal on a sweet note.

Fat City Bar and Grill 

Location: 505 S. Chestnut St., Champaign, IL 61820

Type: $$ Sports bar, beer, wine & spirits

Are you looking for a place for some bonding time with your father? Sports bars are the perfect choice. The atmosphere is alive with good vibes from everyone watching the game and enjoying drinks. You can cheer, shout and toast for your team here.

Sports are a big deal at Fat City, but the beer comes first. The server can make up any drink you want and the bar frequently hosts live music events and shows. The food here is attractive too, especially the chicken wings and classic cheeseburgers.

Hamilton Walker’s 

Location: 201 N. Neil St., Champaign, IL 61820

Type: $$$ Seafood, steakhouse, bar

If your dad likes seafood, Hamilton Walker’s is worth a try. It has captured the charm of fresh seafood, fine steaks and flawless service from waiters in waistcoats. Start with a shrimp cocktail or crab cakes, enjoy the lobster and crab bisque, then move to the seafood and steak combination entrée. This could include a New York strip with lobster tail and a side of au gratin potatoes, or slow roasted prime rib of beef with creamed horseradish sauce and au jus. Finally, finish your meal with a triple layer chocolate cake or bread pudding.

Yifan is sophomore in LAS.