Places to go for the perfect photos on Dads Weekend

The+entrance+to+the+University+of+Illinois+is+on+the+corner+of+South+Wright+Street+and+University+Avenue.+This+is+often+a+popular+place+for+students+to+take+pictures+when+their+families+come+to+visit.+

Jeremy Hu

The entrance to the University of Illinois is on the corner of South Wright Street and University Avenue. This is often a popular place for students to take pictures when their families come to visit.

By Julie Kang, Contributing Writer

Dads Weekend is the perfect opportunity to spend time with your family and friends, and there is no better way to make the memories last than by taking photos. The University of Illinois has a large campus, so it may be difficult to pick out the best spots to capture moments from this precious weekend. Here are some of the most popular and aesthetic places to bring your parents to take pictures during Dads Weekend.

Memorial Stadium

Memorial Stadium is huge. You have dozens of places to take photos, whether it be inside or outside the stadium. Wear your Illini gear and take photos during a football game, next to the Red Grange statue or in front of the stadium sign. Most dads love football, so there is no doubt that both of you will enjoy watching a game and taking pictures.

The University quads

The Main Quad is a beautiful place to take photos, especially in the fall with the autumn colors surrounding the buildings. You can take pictures while giving your parents a personalized tour. Some good places include in front of Foellinger Auditorium, around the Illini Union and by the McFarland Carillon, which is the bell tower on the South Quad. Also, don’t forget to stop by the Natural History Building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

UI entrance sign

The most basic but necessary place to take pictures is in front of the University’s entrance marker, which is located on the corner of South Wright Street and University Avenue. It is a picture-perfect spot to show your love for the University. It’s a bonus if your dad is an alumnus because it will give the photo more sentimental value.

Alma Mater

Alma Mater is a bronze statue that most visitors stop by because it represents the University’s motto, “Learning and Labor.” You can visit it before or after grabbing a meal on Green Street, as it is situated on the corner of Green and Wright streets. A long-time symbol of the University, Alma is picturesque, with Altgeld’s bell tower and the colorful trees around it creating a beautiful backdrop for your cheesy family photo.

KAM’S Alma Mater

If you are 19 or older, head over to KAM’S with your parents and get a photo with its Alma Mater painting. The bar has a replica of the statue wearing a large orange KAM’S shirt painted on the wall in the courtyard. This is a popular photo site for students and visitors alike. Take a picture here for your Instagram page to show that you visited the legendary KAM’S with your parents. It’s bound to earn much respect from alumni and will be a fun memory to look back at for years to come. 

Julie is a freshman in Media.