Delivery options provide dinner when leaving the house is too much work

By Andie Scherer, Staff writer

My favorite social interactions are those in which a delivery man knocks on my door and says,  “Here’s your food!” And I say, “Thank you, kind sir. Many blessings upon you and your first born child.”

So yes, I do like food of many flavors, colors and varieties — but I especially like it when it is delivered straight to my door. Here are just a few of the top restaurants in the Champaign-Urbana area that will deliver to your own door upon request (and a delivery fee).

DP Dough
    DP Dough is the essential late-night delivery option. You know what I’m talking about; it’s for when you stumble home at 2 a.m. — obviously, just because you’re naturally clumsy — and need something to satisfy your greasiest, cheesiest, sauciest cravings.
    You’ll wake up the next morning to the empty box on the kitchen counter and reminisce over the short-lived affair you shared with that precious calzone. DP Dough has been gracing college campuses with its enormous variety of calzones all over the United States since 1987; the University of Illinois is one of those blessed campuses.
    Ben Wyatt from “Parks and Recreation” fondly describes the calzone as a “delicate little dough pocket filled with tomato sauce, cheese and seasoned meat.” He would definitely endorse DP Dough if he wasn’t a fictional character.
     Among the most popular choices are the Roni Zoni, BBQ Chicken Zone and Buffer Zone. Choose the Construction Zone to build your own calzone or you can check out the rest of the menu online. Its open until 1 a.m. on Sunday, 2 a.m. Monday through Wednesday, and 3 a.m. Thursday and Friday so you’ll have plenty of time to get your fix.

Insomnia Cookies

It’s all in the name here, folks. Open until 3 a.m. every day, nothing will put you to sleep faster than a dozen sugar-high inducing cookies from Insomnia. Okay, that’s not true. But if you’ve got a late-night sweet tooth (or anytime, really), Insomnia is for you.
    In my experience, Insomnia cookies also make fantastic Valentine’s Day presents for your significant other, just in case you happen to be studying abroad 3,000 miles away for the semester. There’s no better way to show your love or appreciation like a warm box of treats.

Of course, there are the classics: Chocolate Chunk, Sugar Cookie, Oatmeal Raisin and Snickerdoodle, but sometimes you’ve got to step up your cookie game. Try ordering one of their Deluxe Cookies; these include Triple Chocolate Chunk, S’mores, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.

One extra tip: you’ll need a fork for the Deluxe cookies. They’re honestly too much gooey delight for your hands to manage. If you have one of those “go big or go home” attitudes, throw some ice cream in the middle of two cookies and order yourself a Cookiewich. Check out the rest of the menu online, and go crazy, pal.

BoBo China

Champaign-Urbana has an abundant supply of Chinese delivery options. Deciding which restaurant to order from can be perhaps one of the most difficult, argument-inducing decisions you will face in the realm of delivery food.

Do not fear, for here comes your solution: BoBo China.

Let me first start by saying that the food is not delivered in simple styrofoam, but instead in charming Chinese takeout boxes. Admit it, you love those too. I cannot even begin to tell you how huge of a selling point this is for me.

But if the presentation doesn’t convince you, the food is pretty legit. You can’t go wrong with General Tso’s orange chicken, but prepare yourselves to dive deep into their extensive menu to find exactly what your heart desires.

I prefer white rice over the fried rice; it’s a classic choice. Find their menu online, but make sure to order early; they close at 9 p.m.

Wingin Out

Can’t decide what to order? Sometimes you’ve just got to wing it. And when that happens, go for Wingin Out.
    It claims that its all about saucy wings, and they it does not lie. Oh, the sauce galore. Try its variations on the classic, buffalo sauce, ranging on the hotness scale from mild all the way to intense (not for the faint of heart).  
     If buffalo sauce isn’t your thing, don’t worry. Its also has Caribbean Jerk, Parmesan Peppercorn, Kickin’ Ranch and Teriyaki — just to provide a slight glimpse into your bountiful options.
    Undeniably its most popular sauce, Honey BBQ, is a blend of Sweet Honey and BBQ. It will take your taste buds hostage and you won’t mind. Check out its full line of sauces online. It’s probably not socially acceptable to drink these sauces by the gallon, but that doesn’t mean that you won’t want to try.

Andie is a senior in ACES.