Winter break’s best binge-worthy TV shows

By Molly Zupan, Staff Writer

A well-deserved post-finals break is on the way, so keep your head up and keep your mind focused until you can finally catch up on the shows your friends keep telling you about.

If you find yourself stuck while studying, take a few minutes to get excited about the upcoming time off. Take a look at today’s most popular TV shows available on Netflix, Hulu, HBO and more, and decide which are the most binge-worthy for you.

Comedy

Endless laughs and good humor accompany shows like, “Parks and Recreation,” “The Office,” “New Girl,” “Wet Hot American Summer,” “The Good Place,” “Bob’s Burgers,” “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia,” “Friends,” “The Big Bang Theory,” “Arrested Development” and “Shameless.”

If you’re from Chicago, “Shameless” may be the show for you. The comedy/drama series tells the story of a poor, dysfunctional family from the South Side of Chicago. The hit show is about to begin filming its ninth season, due to its popularity and huge fan base.

Thriller

If you are someone who gets a thrill from twists and turns, check out “American Horror Story,” “The OA” or “Black Mirror.” “American Horror Story” is a good show to binge because the seasons are not attached, so each one has a brand new plot.

Eight seasons have been released, each with a different theme: murder house, asylum, coven, freak show, hotel, Roanoke and cult.

Crime

For those of you who are fascinated by criminal activity, check out “Law & Order: Special Victim’s Unit,” “Criminal Minds,” “Sherlock,” “The Killing,” “Bones,” “Mindhunter” or “NCIS.”

“Law & Order: Special Victim’s Unit” is the longest-running primetime drama currently on television, according to NBC. Emmy-winning producer Dick Wolf has created 19 seasons that feature a group of detectives investigating crimes of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.

Drama

Just a few of the most popular drama TV shows include “Scandal,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Breaking Bad,” “The Crown,” “Sons of Anarchy,” “Narcos” and “How to Get Away with Murder.”

Shonda Rhimes, who grew up in the Chicagoland area, created both “Scandal” and “Grey’s Anatomy.” She has become notorious for her TV drama and thriller series, and she’s not done yet. Rhimes was recently hired by Netflix, so new thrills are likely just around the corner.

If you like your drama with a little bit of comedy, find a good laugh and cry with shows such as “Gilmore Girls,” “Orange Is the New Black,” “How I Met Your Mother,” “Girls,” “Dear White People,” “Fargo” or “This Is Us.” These will be sure to entertain you.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Some fan favorites of the fantasy world include “Game of Thrones,” “Stranger Things,” “The Walking Dead,” “The X Files” and “Rick and Morty.”

The thrilling Netflix original, “Stranger Things,” shocked audiences worldwide when it was released on Netflix in 2016. A countdown for the release of season two was featured on Netflix’s website this past October. Anticipation was high, so if you didn’t catch it during midterm season, be sure to check it out this winter break.

In a few weeks, just sit back, relax and throw yourself into a new show. You’ve definitely earned it after studying so hard for finals.

Molly is a sophomore in FAA.