Dealing with homesickness

Dealing with homesickness

By Abby Paeth, Editor-in-chief

August 15, 2018

Filed under International Student Guide, Special Sections

Coming to the University from another country is an extremely difficult task — one most students here don’t understand. You leave everything you knew at home and come to an entirely new country, an entirely new culture with people that you’ve never met. There are going to be a lot of changes an...

Connect with domestic students

Connect with domestic students

By Alex Greulich, Copy Chief

August 15, 2018

Studying in a new country is unimaginably difficult to some. To others, it's exciting. To the rest, there's such a mix of emotions that is sometimes hard to make sense of everything. Concerns of not finding friends, missing family, not enjoying the food and not speaking the language are some of the hardest...

Don’t freak over not understanding going Greek

By Kelly Johnson, Social Media Director

August 15, 2018

Growing up with two older sisters in Greek life, it never occurred to me that joining a sorority, where you wear matching shirts and sing songs looking like the cast of Disney during rush, was in fact not the norm in every country at various universities. One of the number one tips I’m sure you’...

You will make friends on campus

You will make friends on campus

By Rachael Bolek, Managing Editor for Online

August 15, 2018

Leaving friends and family behind is one of the most difficult parts of college. Back home, you have people you’ve known for many years, possibly even more than a decade. It can be frightening to leave everyone behind and to essentially start over. However, with over 44,000 people enrolled at the University,...

Embrace what you don’t know

Embrace what you don’t know

By Molly Zupan, Special Sections Editor

August 15, 2018

Many of the columns written for this guide are directed at international students. But this one is not. This column is specifically for the students, professors and administrators who are from the U.S. So listen up locals. According to the University's Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations,...

University traditions explained

University traditions explained

By Marissa Plescia, Assistant Features Editor

August 15, 2018

Going anywhere unfamiliar is always a challenge. And each university will always have its quirks and traditions. Here is a guide to some of the most popular (and random) traditions we have at the University. Quad Day There are more than 1,600 registered student organizations at the University and there is ...

How to find a job on campus

How to find a job on campus

By Andrea Flores, Longform Editor

August 15, 2018

College is a place of many "firsts." Your first large lecture, the first time living on your own, the cliches go on and on. And for some, it’s where you land your first job.  We all know college kids are broke, so it’s not surprising many students on campus work to make ends meet. They’re mak...

Teach others about your own culture

Teach others about your own culture

By Bercham Kamber, Managing Editor for Visuals

August 15, 2018

Whether you are an international student or domestic, chances are you have something to say about the culture in which you were raised. American culture is a melting pot, influenced by people from all over the world, each with their own long-standing customs and traditions. The University is a highly...

RSOs help make a big school feel a little smaller

By Camille Baer, Features Editor

August 15, 2018

At a school with more than 33,000 undergraduate students, it makes sense as to why people constantly search for ways to make a big school feel smaller. Whether it’s Greek life, business fraternities, club sports, dance troupes, foodies, music groupies or volunteering opportunities, registered student...

What to do on campus during breaks

What to do on campus during breaks

By Tyler Panlilio, Opinions Editor

August 15, 2018

One thing I tend to forget about my international friends is that during weekends or even breaks, they can’t just go home and see their families. I’d often catch myself from asking if they were excited to be back home after a long semester. At first thought, staying on campus when almost everyone else is...

Creating your own traditions

By Pari Apostolakos, Assistant Features Editor

August 15, 2018

Tradition; it’s a word we hear often, whether it be from the lips of our parents or in the famous number from “Fiddler on the Roof” by the same name. Traditions exist in our lives before we even begin to live them, so how can we be expected to give them up so easily? Moving far away from home for the first time...

Know your campus resources

Know your campus resources

By Katie Powers, Assistant buzz Editor

August 15, 2018

The international student experience at the University comes with unique challenges. On top of adjusting to the academic and social demands of college and to life away from home, international students are learning to navigate life in a foreign country. Fortunately, the University offers a variety of ...

Next Page »