UIUC offers a variety of religious centers for students

By Vivienne Henning

New and returning students are settling into their fall semester routines as syllabus week comes to a close. Religion is a part of daily life for many students, and the University provides a wide variety of different centers of all affiliations and denominations.

As of last year, there are at least 50 different places of worship and cultural associations on campus. For those of the Jewish or Interdenominational faith, there are up to five different places of worship.

The larger known of the Interdenominational faith is the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, located on Sixth and Green.

Those practicing Judaism have five options on campus, including the Champaign-Urbana Jewish Federation and the Sinai Temple off of Duncan and Windsor, southwest of Campus.

Non-denominational Christians and Interfaith students have four churches on campus. There is the Covenant Fellowship Church and the Twin City Bible Church for Non-denominational Christians.

For Interfaith students, there is the University YMCA right off of Wright and Chalmers.

Muslim students can look to the Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center on Lincoln and Western, as well as the Muslim American Society and Muslim Students Association here on campus.

Presbyterian Illini have McKinley Presbyterian Church and Foundation as their largest place of worship, while Roman Catholic students have St. John’s Catholic Newman Center on Sixth and Armory as their more popular church.

United Methodist students can attend the Wesley United Method Church on Green and Matthews, while Zen Buddhists have the Prarie Zen Center off of Green and Prospect.

Orthodox Christians have the Orthodox Christian Fellowship, and there is a Quaker Student Group as well. Unitarian Universalists meet at both the Channing-Murray Foundation off of Oregon and Mathews and the Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign on Green Street near Lincoln Square.

There is a University Lutheran Church on Chalmers and Sixth for Lutheran students, as well as the St. Andrew’s/Lutheran Campus Center on Wright and Chalmers.

First Mennonite Church is located on the corner of Lincoln and Springfield.

The Indian Christian Fellowship holds a variety of events to celebrate their culture.

The Baha’i faith can be practiced with the Baha’i Association at UIUC and the Church of Christ has an Illini for Christ group on campus.

Additionally, there is a Latter-day Saints Student Association for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Those who are a part of the Assembly of God can practice at the Excel Campus Ministry and there is a University Baptist Church and Baptist Housing Ministry on Daniel and Fourth.

Episcopal and Anglican students have a place of worship at the Chapel of Saint John the Divine on Wright and Armory, while there is also a Hessel Park Christian Reformed Church for Christians Reformed.

There is an Illini Life Christian Fellowship as well on campus for students with the Collegiate Church Network. Additionally, there is a UCC Campus Ministry for the United Church of Christ on Daniel and Sixth.

Disciples of Christ have two places of worship: the Disciples of Christ Community Church near Urbana Middle School and UniPlace Christian Church on the corner of Wright and Springfield.
University of Illinois is not only a place of high quality education, but also spirituality. This is a campus where students from all walks of life can come together.