Top five things to keep in mind so you don’t look stupid

Ike is a popular choice for University Housing residents because it has a dining hall, A La Carte store, and coffee shop.

By Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

All right, this one goes out to all those rookies out there.

I’m going to be honest, no matter the situation, you are going to look stupid. Coming to a new school and getting adjusted takes some time. Almost every new student will find themselves failing to understand some of the basic, everyday habits of the veteran students. Everything from terminology to location can be jumbled in the mind of a newbie, so take into consideration these five key points of knowledge to avoid looking too out of the loop.

All those buildings on the Main Quad

Okay, I’m just going to be straight-up about this. For some reason, new students cannot remember the name of the buildings if their grades depended on it. Take a couple minutes to just really stand on the Main Quad and observe. General education classes will have new students hopping around all over the place, so to be more efficient, just learn your buildings. The Quad is one of the most densely populated areas on campus during the year and you will want to know where you are going, especially come winter time. Also, please don’t ever tell anyone you don’t know what building Foellinger is.

Don’t be sneaky and avoid the bus

The bus system on campus will save you. During the winter time, students are filling buses to the max capacity and there is a reason for that. From the minute you step foot on campus, take some time to understand how the bus system operates. Transportation will become much easier at any hour of the day and you can utilize parts of campus you may not have normally walked to. In addition, a time will come when you will need a bus and the last thing you will want to do is not know which one takes you where. Don’t be the kid that has to ask the bus driver when you’ll be at ARC when you’ve arrived at Marketplace Mall.

P.S.: You have to pull that yellow cord when you want to get off, it’s not just in the movies.

Not everyone lives at the Ike

Keep in mind you are living on a big campus. It is easy to assume most of the people you will meet as a newer student will live in the “six pack” area. Well, I’m here to tell you not everyone spends their days at the Ikenberry Commons. In fact, many students live in different places around campus and definitely take advantage of that. The Ike is a fine facility, but branch out and hang out elsewhere to meet new people.

Don’t be scared of the older students in the classroom

It doesn’t matter if you’re a freshman or a transfer student, at some point, you will interact with a student that is older than you. It may only be a one year difference, but more often than not new students have a tendency to freak out about interacting with the veterans. Older students are just like you and happen to be at the University for the exact same reasons. Approach them as you would any normal human person and you’ll be good.

You did that in high school? Cool

Not trying to be rude, but leave high school behind. Now that you have stepped foot onto a college campus, all that matters is here and now. When you write a resume and begin the steps toward, as the kids say, “adulting,” you will not be writing about the National Honors Society work hours you did in high school. As a college student, spend time on developing relationships and bettering yourself. College is a time that gives an incredible number of opportunities, but it’s up to you to take advantage of them.

Eli is a senior in Media.