Men’s golf named Team of the Year

Illinois’s head coach Mike Small tees off from the first hole during a team practice at the Stone Creek Golf Club in Urbana on April 18, 2012.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The University of Illinois men’s golf team has been named the 2015-16 Illinois Team of the Year by the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA) and Mike Small has been named Illinois Coach of the Year for the second time in three years.

The men’s golf team had an extremely successful season, winning nine tournaments, a NCAA Regional title and the Big Ten Championship. At the NCAA Championship, the team tied for third with its fourth-straight top-5 finish.

The award was given to the team and Small after a vote by DIA executives and Illinois head coaches.

Multiple players on the team won individual awards this season. Charlie Danielson earned All-American honors, was named Big Ten Player of the Year and qualified for the 2016 U.S. Open. Thomas Detry was named first-team All-Big Ten and Dylan Meyer and Nick Hardy earned All-Region awards.

In addition to the Illinois Coach of the Year, Small was named 2016 Big Ten Coach of the Year for the eighth time and was a Dave Williams National Coach of the Year finalist.