Big Ten power rankings: Week 13

Illinois running back Reggie Corbin (2) runs down the sideline for a touchdown during the first half of the game against Northwestern at Ryan Field on Saturday, November 26. The Illini lost 42-21.

By Michael Gasick

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini football staff ranks the football teams in the Big Ten, 1-14, and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings.

1. 1. Ohio State (2) — While it might not have held the official matchup, Ohio State won the Big Ten title this week against Michigan. The showdown lived up to the hype, going into double overtime with Ohio State leaving as the established alpha in the Big Ten.

2. Michigan (1) — While Ohio State celebrated, Michigan mourned. A fantastic season might have come up short with the Wolverines missing out on the Big Ten Championship and, more than likely, the College Football Playoff.

3. Wisconsin (3) — Wisconsin solidified itself as the top team in the Big Ten West with a win over Minnesota. The Badgers’ College Football Playoff hopes are still alive, but they have to win the Big Ten Championship against Penn State to even have a shot.

4. Penn State (4) — Not many people would have picked Penn State to come out of a division that featured both Michigan and Ohio State, but the Nittany Lions did. They were the surprise team of the season and have a chance to keep expectations high with a win against Wisconsin.

5. Iowa  (5) — Not many people could guess how Iowa’s season would play out. One week the Hawkeyes are losing to North Dakota State; another week, they blow out Nebraska by 30. After a shaky start, Iowa is now one of the hottest teams in the country heading into a bowl game.

6. Nebraska (9) — The Cornhuskers ended their season on a sour note, getting blown out by Iowa, but that doesn’t change that they had a solid season. After last season’s anomaly, Nebraska fans have to be relieved to be back at a respectable bowl game.

7. Minnesota  (8) — The Golden Gophers had a solid season. They had a little bump at the end of the road, running into Wisconsin, but they gave the Badgers a fight. Minnesota can prove its worth in its bowl game.

8. Indiana (6) — Indiana finished just where everybody expected — right in the middle of the pack. The Hoosiers won games they were supposed to win and put up decent fights in the games where they were underdogs. They stayed true to that trend with a win against Purdue.

9. Northwestern (7) — A victory over Illinois clinched a bowl berth for Northwestern, something that seemed extremely unlikely back when it lost back-to-back non-conference games against Western Michigan and Illinois State. Despite the slow start, this ended up being a good season for the Wildcats.

10. Maryland  (11) — It was a tale of two halves for Maryland this season. The Terps lost four of their last six, but they are heading to a bowl game after a win against Rutgers.

11. Purdue (10) — After a win back in week five, it looked like Purdue could make some strides this season, but it lost seven-straight to close the season. It was another bad season for the Boilermakers, who are now looking for a new head coach.

12. Illinois (12) — The first season of Lovie Smith’s career at Illinois is over. The Illini finished at a disappointing 3-9. The future is bright, though, and more importantly stable with Smith at the head of the program. Still, fans would’ve liked for them to finish the season with a win over Northwestern.

13. Michigan State (13) — It is finally over. Michigan State started the season ranked No. 12. The Spartans finished with a 3-9 record with only one Big Ten win to their name. They put up a good fight against Penn State but fell short. Now it’s over, and nobody is happier than the Spartans.

14. Rutgers (14) — Rutgers is by far the worst team in the Big Ten, and the Scarlet Knights are a long way from being relevant. After a loss to Maryland, they officially went winless in conference play and 2-10 on the season. They were the basement team in the Big Ten.

@di_sports