Illinois basketball beats NC State thanks to strong second half

Illinois’ Te’Jon Lucas (3) jumps up to pass the ball off a fast break during the game against North Carolina State at State Farm Center on Tuesday, November 29. The Illini won 88-74.

By Matt Gertsmeier, Illini hoops columnist

For the first time since 2012, Illinois basketball contributed to the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

More importantly, the Illini ended a three-game losing streak with a 88-74 win over NC State and looked much improved doing so.

Looking at the final box score and one might think Illinois dominated the whole game. But that was not the case.

The first half was brutal for Illinois.

One of the reasons for that might have been because of the starting lineup. Guard Jaylon Tate made his sixth-consecutive start.

I understand that this is another prime-time opponent, but why isn’t someone else starting? I would even be content to see Te’Jon Lucas try the starting spot? Illinois was on a three-game losing streak, meaning it’s a great time to change things up. Take a lesson out of REO Speedwagon’s playbook and roll with the changes.

Jaylon Tate has started the last six-straight games, and I wouldn’t consider him as an impact player as he’s shooting 37 percent from the field and averaging about two turnovers a game. I would have preferred to test out Lucas on a big stage.

Tate played nine minutes in the first with zero points and one turnover. He didn’t play in the second half. But he wasn’t the only Illini having trouble finding consistency.

The usually reliant Malcolm Hill was 0-3, but at least managed to scrape five points from the free throw line. The first half ended with NC State leading Illinois 33-32. The Wolfpack shot 53.6 percent in the first while Illinois shot 34.4 percent. Seven steals were countered out by nine turnovers.

It’s amazing that Illinois managed to shoot that poorly and still stay within one at half.

But the script was flipped for the second, and it was a treat to see compared to the last three games.

The Illini started the second half shooting 6-6 and took a 46-42 lead with about 16 minutes remaining. Illinois missed its first shot of the half with about 15 minutes remaining.

The Illini were sharp in the second, flirting with a double digit lead for most of it. They were aggressive and looked to take a better shot selection.

Give the Illini credit, they showed fight and resilience in the second half. In fact, Lucas was called for a technical foul along with NC State’s Markell Johnson for chirping and getting in each other’s faces with about 12 minutes remaining.

Technical fouls are usually undesirable, but I liked seeing that. Lucas didn’t back down, and that was the tone for the entire team in the second half.

In the second half, llinois scored 56 points, shooting 67.9 percent. The Illini only turned the ball over two times in the second. Hill dropped 17 and Leron Black had 13 points in the second. The Illini held a lead in the second for over 18 minutes.

One last thing: Illinois’ zone defense looked surprisingly well at times. NC State tried to force the ball inside, and the Illini managed to secure some steals.

I’m still indifferent about the zone, especially because Illinois plays a 2-3 when it switches from man. I’ve always viewed the 2-3 as a lazy man’s defense. But if Groce continues to use it sporadically to throw off opponents, and it continues to be somewhat successful, why not keep it up?

Besides just the zone, the defense overall was pretty good, seeing that it limited a future NBA lottery pick to 12 points. NC State’s freshman guard Dennis Smith Jr. is projected to be the No. 2 pick in Draft Express’ 2017 mock draft. Smith who is coming off a 30-point performance, shot 36 percent and turned the ball over four times.

If the Illini play their remaining games like it did in tonight’s last 20 minutes, then this season might not be so bad after all. Illinois ended its losing streak, beat a 5-1 team and had a lot of energy.

Now it’s time for Groce to roll with the changes.

Matt is a Junior in Business

@MattGertsmeier