Illinois men’s track wins five event titles to secure Illini Classic

Daily Illini File Photo

Illinois’ Micheal Hyc winds up during the weight throw in the Orange & Blue Meet at the Armory on Saturday Feb. 20, 2016.

By Thomas Polcyn, Assistant sports editor

Propelled by five individual titles, the Illinois men’s track and field team won the annual Illini Classic.

Event titles were won by David Kendziera (60m hurdles), Devin Quinn (60m), Josh Eiker (200m), Jonathan Wells (high jump) and a win by the 4x400m relay team.

Head coach Michael Turk was very happy with his team’s performance, saying in a release that its preparation was a huge key to success.

“I’m extremely happy with the way the guys competed,” Turk said in the release. “Their preparation and focus were on point and the performances reflected that. This team is coming together and collectively, this was a step forward.”

Highlights of the event include Wells attempting to break the school high jump record of 7 feet and 3 inches just after winning the event. However, he fell just short and was not able to break the record.

Kendziera also stood out as he won his second race in the past two weeks. His low time on the weekend was a 7.82, but in the finals he went back up to 8.17 — good enough for second place.

Also notable was junior Michael Hyc setting a personal record in both the weight throw and shot put for the second straight week. In the weight throw he scored 64’5.25”, good for second place.

Fellow thrower Matsen Dziedzic also set a personal record with 63’11”.

Turk was pleased with their continued improvement, and said that he likes where the two can improve going forward.

“Mike and Matsen were great in the weight throw,” Turk said in the release. “They are starting to figure some things out, and I believe there is much more for them to accomplish. Mike’s performance in the shot put was extraordinary.”

@TPolc