Big Ten basketball power rankings

Alex Kumar/The Purdue Exponent

Tracy Abrams shoots the ball against Purdue on January 17th, 2017. The Illini lost 98-61

By Matt Gertsmeier, Columnist

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini sports staff ranks the basketball teams in the Big Ten, 1-14, and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings.

1. Purdue 22-5, 11-3

Purdue cruised to a perfect week with pure domination over Rutgers and Michigan State, which is why the Boilermakers remain No. 1 in this week’s power rankings. It’s going to be interesting to see how Caleb Swanigan fairs in the conference tournament and Big Dance.

2. Northwestern 20-7, 9-5

The Wildcats had a strong week causing them to bump to the two spot this week. A seven-point win over No. 11 Wisconsin is going to do wonders for Northwestern’s tournament resume.

3. Wisconsin 22-5, 11-3

This was a tough week for Wisconsin as senior guard Bronson Koenig battled and started, recovering from a strained left calf. The Badgers were upset by Northwestern and Michigan, but bounced back with a win over Maryland.

4. Maryland 22-5, 10-4

Melo Trimble’s 27 points were not enough to propel Maryland over Wisconsin in the Terps most recent contest. Maryland now sits in second place in the Big Ten as Purdue and Wisconsin are tied for first.

5. Michigan 17-9, 7-6

The Wolverines made a strong statement with a win over Wisconsin last week. Defeating the Badgers improves Michigan’s tournament resume and could help land the Wolverine’s a nine seed.

6. Michigan State 16-11, 8-6

Tom Izzo’s club dropped a big game to the Boilermakers after defeating Ohio State. A win over Purdue would have changed the momentum for Michigan State this late in the season.

7. Nebraska 12-14, 6-8

This was a slow week for Nebraska who defeated Penn State in its only game of the week. Tai Webster continues to lead the Cornhuskers who is averaging almost 18 points per game.

8. Minnesota 19-7, 7-6

The Gophers are one win away from 20 on the season. But with six of its seven losses at the hands of Big Ten teams, will it be enough for a spot in the NCAA Tournament?

9. Penn State 14-13, 6-8

Penn State fell to Nebraska this past week. Looking at the Nittany Lions’ four remaining games, I would give them a 3-1 record at best, 0-4 at worst.

10. Indiana 15-12, 5-9

The Hoosiers continue to slip and plummet to the bottom of the Big Ten. Indiana won’t have an easy final four games either with Northwestern and a road game at Purdue still left on the slate.

11. Illinois 15-12, 5-9

The Illini have found themselves back in the win column after defeating Iowa on the road. It was Illinois’ second road win of the season and now the Illini have a chance to sweep Northwestern this Tuesday.

12. Iowa 14-13, 6-8

After an entire week off of action led to a loss to Illinois for the Hawkeyes. This young Iowa team will have a tough challenge ahead with Maryland and Wisconsin left on the schedule.

13. Ohio State 15-13, 5-10

Ohio State have dropped in this week’s power rankings after going 0-2 this past week with losses to Michigan State and Nebraska. Just an overall poor week for the Buckeyes.

14. Rutgers 13-15, 2-13

Same old same old for Rutgers. This was a tough week for the Scarlet Knights who squared up against Purdue and Northwestern. Four points separated Rutgers and Northwestern from an upset.

@di_sports