2016 Illinois Mr. Basketball recipient transfers to Kansas from California

Brad Underwood stands before his speech at the State Farm Center on March 20.

Ryan Fang

Ryan Fang

Matt Gertsmeier, Columnist

Charlie Moore is transferring to Kansas.

The 5-foot-11 guard from Chicago made the announcement Tuesday via Twitter. Moore played his freshman season at California and decided to transfer to be closer to his family. Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports reported Moore was deciding between Illinois and Kansas.

Moore started all 34 games for the Golden Bears as a freshman. He was third on the team in scoring, averaging about 12 points per game. He was the team categorical leader with 120 assists and 37 steals.

California went 21-13 and received a No. 1 seed in the NIT in Cuonzo Martin’s third year as head coach. Martin left California this past March and became the head coach for Missouri. Moore did not publicly state Martin’s departure was another reason he chose to transfer.

In high school, Moore was a four-star recruit and the top-rated player in the state according to 247sports. His recruiting profile listed 23 offers including Seton Hall, Miami, Creighton and Illinois. Moore initially committed to Memphis in November 2015 but decommitted and switched to California after Georgia Tech hired former Memphis head coach Josh Pastner.

Moore played high school basketball at Morgan Park where he won two state championships at the IHSA 3A level in four years at the varsity level. He was the recipient of the 2016 Illinois Mr. Basketball award after averaging about 28 points, seven assists and five steals per game during his senior season.

Moore’s decision leaves Illinois with four scholarships remaining. Head coach Brad Underwood can use those remaining scholarships for the class of 2017 or save them for the class of 2018.

gertsme2@dailyillini.com

@MattGertsmeier

1 Comment

• Sally Balderick

Duh. First of all, Kansas isn’t really that close to Illinois & it would still take him several hours to get home. Would you rather play at a school that has won 12 straight conference championships & regularly appears on national television, or a school that hasn’t won a championship in the last 12 years & barely appears on BTN?