D.J. Williams transferring from Illinois

Illinois+D.J.+Williams+drives+to+the+basket+against+Detroit+at+State+Farm+Center+on+Nov.+18.+

Illinois’ D.J. Williams drives to the basket against Detroit at State Farm Center on Nov. 18.

By Matt Gertsmeier, Columnist

D.J. Williams is transferring from Illinois.

The Illini granted Williams a full release Monday. Head coach Brad Underwood made a statement Monday evening on Williams’ departure.

“After meeting with D.J., we came to the decision that a fresh start is in his best interest,” Underwood said. “We wish him success with the next chapter of his career.”

The sophomore from Chicago averaged about 10 minutes per game in 46 appearances during his two years with the Illini. Williams averaged just over one rebound and two points per game while shooting about 41 percent from the field in his career with Illinois.

The 6-foot-7 guard played for Simeon Career Academy in high school. He was a four-star recruit and ranked No. 78 nationally according to 247sports. Williams’ profile listed offers from Georgetown, Purdue and Florida. He was a member of John Groce’s 2015 recruiting class, which included Jalen Coleman-Lands, Aaron Jordan and Kipper Nichols.

The Illini now have four available scholarships following Williams’ decision to transfer. The final signing date for this upcoming season is May 17.

@MattGertsmeier