University offers new ‘green’ BookScan service

While Web 2.0 Internet features and new technologies help simplify research, libraries such as the University’s are looking for new ways to upgrade services and encourage students to continue using libraries. One method is the use of new technology that makes common research tasks, such as scanning books, more efficient to use.

The new BookScan at the Undergraduate Library was implemented last month to do just that. The scanner allows users to scan books and convert the files to searchable documents. The files can then be saved to portable USB devices.

“Of the students who have used it, one of them said, ‘wow that’s magic,’ because it’s so much different than what they’ve experienced with a typical scanner,” said Lori Mestre, head of the Undergraduate library.

The BookScan converts the scanned image to Word, PDF, Searchable PDF or Excel files. Unlike common scanners, books scanned on the BookScan do not lay flat. The BookScan system prevents damage to the books spine by scanning one half of the book as the other half hangs over the edge of the scanner. The University’s Library is the first university to offer such a technology.

After University librarians discovered the BookScan at a trade show in Chicago, Robert David, University alumnus, decided he would donate the device to the University.

“It just seemed like a good fit,” David said.

David has donated to the University before, but wanted to give the University more than a check, he said. He wanted students to be able to directly profit from his donation.

“It’s got a little bit more benefits for the students,” David said. “It’s going to make their life a litter easier and gets them back in the library.”

David said the BookScan stood out because of its brand new technology. The system uses Optical Character Recognition, or OCR, to transfer scanned images into editable files. This allows users to take the file home and add, delete or change text. This makes the service flexible and a preferred option compared to typical scanners, David said. He added that the BookScan is a good way to save paper.

Mestre said she agreed. She said the “green” technology is another unique feature of the BookScan.

“It’s definitely a green technology because you don’t have to print anything out,” Mestre said.

The Library also hopes to allow students to save the documents to mobile devices, Mestre said. Such a capability may be as easy as attaching a special cable to the scanner’s self–help computer.

The BookScan station is a small area near the Undergraduate Library’s periodicals section. While students may need help finding the system at first, the touch screen, self-service scanner is easy to use, Mestre said.

Users take a seat in front of the screen and are prompted to swipe their I-Card. Next, a screen prompts the user for a preferred file format, color and resolution. After placing the book on the scanner, the BookScan pulls an image of the page on the touch screen.

From that point, students can edit the copy using the touch screen. Options include enlarging the file, selecting specific portions of the image or zooming in and out. The file is then saved on a thumb drive for later use.

Some students said they haven’t learned about the new system. Cindy Alkass, junior in LAS, said she has not used BookScan before, but thinks it’s a good idea. She said she likes that the machine has an editing feature.

“That’s cool,” Alkass said. “I’d like that.”

Mestre said the library staff is observing the popularity of the BookScan, and they hope to improve the technology based on the reports and updates they receive.

“With those statistics we’ll be able to generate some reports and then at a later point we might purchase one for some of the other libraries, especially the high–use libraries like Grainger,” Mestre said.