Students go out, work out to relieve stress of finals week

Students wait in line outside of Clybourne’s on Wednesday night. Temperatures were well below freezing and the wind was excessive on the night before Reading Day. To relieve stress, some students may go out to campus bars or parties on campus, while others head to the gym and work out.

By Shannon Failla

It’s finals week and many students are neck deep in their studies. Along with the exams, papers and homework given to wrap up the semester comes seemingly endless amounts of stress.

This week some students eliminate partying, while others depend on going out to blow off some steam. To stay in or go out, that is the question.

Hugo Herrera, sophomore in Business, said he plans to go out this week.

“I have two finals next week, but once I am done studying I want to go out,” he said. “I will probably start at my friends apartments then go out to the bars.”

Herrera added that only half of his friends are planning to venture out this week.

“It’s about half-and-half,” she said. “Some really want to go out and some really just want to relax and study hard.”

For some students, going out is not an option.

Alyssa LoBue, junior in LAS, is one of those students that plan to stay in this week.

“I have way to many papers and tests this week, I need to study hard,” she said. “If I could go out, I would go to Pianoman at the Canopy Club.”

Tim Rendall, freshman in DGS, also plans to stay in this week.

“I need to stay in and study a lot,” he said. “I actually know more people who will be staying in then going out.”

Some students believe one’s age and level of education plays a part in whether or not students go out during finals.

“I think freshmen and sophomores are more prone to going out during finals then juniors or seniors,” Herrera said. “Maybe it’s because of the difference in maturity level or even the higher difficulty of classes.”

No matter the age or level of education, stress might not be the only reason students choose to go out during finals.

“People might go out to bars to get some partying in before heading home,” Rendall said.

Although going out might lower stress levels, drinking is not the only way students relieve exam related stress on campus.

Rendall said he will be working out to blow off some steam.

“I plan on working out,” Rendall said. “I’m going to the ARC.”

Herrera said he would a more sentimental approach to his stress relief.

“Another way to relieve stress is to go home early and spend a lot of time with your family,” Herrera said.